Criminal Law Shop Lifting Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parthiv

Hello,

I have been charged with a misdeamanor for shoplifting at JC Penny Stores in Troy. I had been arrested and released on bond for $ 250. I had shoplifted for some clothes and cologne worth 200 dollars. I have a hearing for my case on the 22nd of March. This is my first criminal offense, although I have a few traffic ticket violations which i have paid up for.

Please let me know what the consequences of this. Will I get deported ? I am on an H1 -B visa. Should i plead guilty? Should I get an attorney to represnt me in court ?

You definitely should retain a lawyer.

Your number priority is to avoid a conviction if possible through some kind of a pre-trial diversion program. Consult with your lawyer to see one is available in Troy.

Second, if that is not an option, if the maximum sentence of your shopilifting charge is one year or less and your actual sentence imposed is six months or less, you are qualified for the petty offense exception, and as a result, you will not be inadmissible.

But I believe that the most important thing for you is to aviod getting deported, for that, you need to avoid a charge that has a maximum sentence of one year or more.

Hope it helps.

golf131

what had happened to you ? because i am also sailing in the same boat.

Parthiv said:
Hello,

I have been charged with a misdeamanor for shoplifting at JC Penny Stores in Troy. I had been arrested and released on bond for $ 250. I had shoplifted for some clothes and cologne worth 200 dollars. I have a hearing for my case on the 22nd of March. This is my first criminal offense, although I have a few traffic ticket violations which i have paid up for.

Please let me know what the consequences of this. Will I get deported ? I am on an H1 -B visa. Should i plead guilty? Should I get an attorney to represnt me in court ?

I also had the same problem i have been charged for the same misdemeanor for shoplifting at JC Penny store amt of 110 but the real value is 40 $ as that item was on sale at that time and i have a hearing on 9th may and this is my first criminal offence can you tell me what is the best if the person is on H4 visa ane renewal is coming near and will it affect on me if i travel abroad i mean will it create any problem on port of entry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back