SF Mailbox rights and Tenants abusing SF Tenant Protection Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnlucky2009

My jurisdiction is: California, San Francisco

Hello all,

As a last resort and no where else to turn (that doesn't require some kind of fee) I was hoping this forum could help.

Basically I have a tenant who moved in to my two bedroom in-law when he was single about 10 years ago. One year after he moved in, he seemed like a good guy so I allowed his wife to move in. His wife brought over her brother, and also gave birth to two kids. Now basically the two bedroom is supporting 3 adults, and 2 children (one is about 13-14yrs old girl, and one younger boy).

I'm not really sure how the dispute happened, but basically the whole family now is very aggressive in blocking off access to my own property especially the shared entrance on the side of the house that go into my back yard. It might be the fact that they know they will outgrow the small place that they are trying to get me to evict them and pay them the moving fee imposed by the SF Tenant Rights laws rather than just moving out. They have been provoking me with actions like yelling at me when I told them they can't park on my property anymore because it was blocking a fire exit. A few times they were blocking a door so I wouldn't be able to put the trash bins back inside the gates. Also they have consistantly continued to park on the same spot I told them not to because it blocks a door that is used as an emergency exit. They are very aggressive and constantly use SF's Tenant rights as a legal shield to basically pick on me as the owner. They even teasingly said, "If you want us out of here fine, just pay us the moving cost...". No joke.

Recently, they wrote me a letter claiming that they are not receiving their mail on-time and that their mail is always dirty and wet from me sliding their mail under the door after I retrieve it from a mailbox that only I have access to.

Basically my first question is, is there no protection for property owners in San Francisco from disrespectful tenants who are basically abusive? I mean I'm pretty sure this is about money. I think they want to move out, but they probably figured they might as well get some money out of it in the process.

Second question is... Currently both our mail are going into a mailbox in the garage, but only I have keys to the garage. I think the tenants are pushing for their own mailbox... is there any legal action they can go through to force me to give them their own mailbox? What are my options?

I am a broke, small property owner just trying to get by and I am sure there are many small owners out there that are like me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks for reading and your replies.

I'm in San Francisco, CA

"Tenants who are evicted for one of the "no-fault" causes (Capital Improvements, Demolition, Owner Move In, Ellis, or Substantial Rehabilitation get relocation benefits of approximately $4,700 per tenant and $3,100 additional for tennats who are seniors, disabled or who have children. These amounts increase each year."
I can't post the linked source because of member restrictions on this site, but it's from sftu org.

I can barely pay my monthly mortgage :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back