Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Sexual harassment? Or worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBM08

My jurisdiction is: Iowa/USA

I have a very interesting situation in which I do not know what to do.

Almost three years ago, I came back from a trip abroad where colleagues from my school were not even talking to me and even avoiding me. As months rolled on (and I was in the same place as these people), I soon realized that I had been a "perpetrator" of sorts. I had "scared" several people by staring at their chest area, waving goofily at them, or randomly walking up to them. I also apparently looked like I was "jacking off" in a public setting when I placed my hands on my lap. One person looked at me weird there, but I had no idea that was what he saw. As I look back, it seems as though what I did could count as severe sexual harassment. One colleague was covering her top the whole trip (I kept wondering why she was doing that).

During this whole time, colleagues were treating me as though I was not that intelligent (I came across as though I could barely count). I have trouble many times doing basic things, but have above average intelligence ( I later had testing done that showed I had a certain type of developmental disability that includes not being able to pick up social cues or put myself in others' perspective).

I fear the only reason I was "brought to justice" was because the people I was with thought I was so dumb that I didn't know what I was doing (not being with it enough to count, I must not know about sexual things). When the reality is, I am of above average intelligence and know right from wrong, but was not aware of how severely frightening my actions were to others (because of my condition).

It has been a few years since these incidents took place. I finished my course of studies at the place where these things took place and went on with my life (no record of criminal activity or harassment). However, I am scared these incidents will come back to haunt me. I want to know precisely what others thought of me or how they perceived me. Is there a legal way to go about finding these things which would not violate confidentiality issues. Should I consult these colleagues through a legal mediator?

Also, I'm wondering how should situations be dealt with where suspicious or criminal activities are being performed, but the perpetrator does not seem to know what he or she is doing? Regardless of who it was or what level of intelligence they had, if I saw someone point a gun at someone else I'd call the authorities. I'm wondering if this was dealt with in the right way. A lot of pain for others and myself would have been avoided if someone had just simply pulled me aside and told me how scared I was making other people. But maybe this was violating confidentiality issues?

I guess my questions are threefold:

1.) What sort of laws, if any, did I break from information I gave?
2.) Is there a way I can find out more about this situation in my life legally?
3.) What are policies for reporting crimes/suspicious activity if the individual involved does not seem to know what he or she is doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back