Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Sexual abuse or assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBM08

Are any of these things sexual assault or abuse?

1.) Continuous staring at someone's chest in a public place

2.) Having an erection or appearing to "jack off" in a public place (even if you are unaware that you are doing so).

I'm no law expert, but I would say yes to both (depending on the circumstances). Especially number two. Yet, how exactly would someone be unaware of an erection and/or self manipulation? Especially in a public place?

I think he's looking for ways to rationalize the act of staring at a set of breasts while masturbating in public.

Especially after reading some of the other posts here about sexual assault, I'm having trouble seeing how either of these could really be sexual assault (or abuse). Doesn't assault have to involve touching someone else? At most, wouldn't continuous staring be harassment or the threat of assault? What are usually the legal definitions on this?

Additionally, I don't think I have a problem with jacking off or self-manipulation in front of others. There was a situation a couple of years back where I just had an erection in a public place and it looked like I was jacking off. (I was not aware of this). I only became aware of how I was perceived months later, when other people made comments to me or even mentioned ("he can get to third base with you without doing anything with you at all").

To answer the question of how could one not be aware he or she was having an erection in public. I have a condition similar to Asperger's syndrome (a developmental syndrome or disability) which includes not being able to read social cues or communicate effectively with others. I have done some research and found that many individuals with this or similar disabilities might have weird sexual feelings or an inability to know how others might perceive them. This does not mean they are dangerous or inhuman. I have weird sexual feelings, which include getting erections when sometimes talking to people or even if petting an animal.

In the past, I usually tried to suppress these feelings or ignore them because I knew they were meaningless and would not keep me from functioning well with others. Now, I am not so sure what this means. My counselor mentioned ideas of just wearing long clothing.

What do others think of this. I don't really know what counts as crossing the line anymore. If you have a developmental disability that makes you profoundly unaware of how you come across to others, is that really breaking the law? I am doing research into this, and hopefully will find some answers soon.

Are any of these things sexual assault or abuse?

1.) Continuous staring at someone's chest in a public place
Rude and crude, but not criminal.

2.) Having an erection or appearing to "jack off" in a public place (even if you are unaware that you are doing so).
Committing a lewd act in public or in a place where you can be seen will probable be criminal. Merely "having an erection" will not, generally and by itself, be sufficient to qualify as a crime.

Why do you ask?

- Carl

Doesn't assault have to involve touching someone else?
Definitions vary by state. In my state of CA "assault" is an attempted battery. The unwanted touching of another is "battery".

At most, wouldn't continuous staring be harassment or the threat of assault? What are usually the legal definitions on this?
You would have to provide a state for this to be evaluated as laws vary. I doubt it would be a THREAT of assault, but it might constitute some form of civil harassment ... MAYBE criminal in a couple of states, but I would have a hard time justifying it.

Now, staring crudely at someone's chest might get your tail end whupped, so there could be consequences.

Additionally, I don't think I have a problem with jacking off or self-manipulation in front of others.
Good for you. However, if you do it in public or in a place where people who do NOT want to see it are forced to see it, then the law has a problem with it.

There was a situation a couple of years back where I just had an erection in a public place and it looked like I was jacking off. (I was not aware of this).
Okay ... HOW do you appear to be "jacking off" and not be? Sorry, but if you were going through the motions, you were likely committing a lewd act even if your aroused member was not visible.

If you have a developmental disability that makes you profoundly unaware of how you come across to others, is that really breaking the law? I am doing research into this, and hopefully will find some answers soon.
If charged, you could raise a medical defense if you have such experts available to testify on your behalf. But, if you appear to be committing a lewd act, expect to be arrested.

So, in short, keep your hands away from your arousal, and try not to rub yourself against shelves, people, or other things if you find yourself in such an aroused state.

Oh, and don't stare ... you might get your ass handed to you by an angry husband or boyfriend.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back