1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Eviction, Recovery of Premises' started by Random411, May 12, 2017.

  1. Random411

    Random411 Law Topic Starter Guest

    Can a relative living at the same address as I, serve my tenant? I am the only plaintiff. Thank you.
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure - Rule 7. Summons:
    E. By Whom Served. A summons may be served by any competent person 18 years of age or older who is a resident of the state where service is made or of this state and is not a party to the action...

    So, yes, a relative can serve it, but I strongly urge you not to do that as there are too many ways it can go wrong and you don't want to jeopardize your eviction.

    Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. You want this tenant out. Hire a private process server and do it right. The cost gets added to your judgment.
  3. Random411

    Random411 New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I took your advice and had my local Sheriff's Office take care of the serving. Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

Share This Page