Consumer Fraud Sent to collection over the phone for non purchase.

Isaac Lopez

Jurisdiction
California
So I ordered a product over the phone some time in the last two weeks. I had told them that I did not have the money on hand and needed some time to obtain it. The company had told me it was fine and that they would send the product to a local post office and that when I had the money in hand I would be able to pick it up from the post office. Seeing as I would not be able to obtain that money any time soon I went to the post office and asked them to return the package to the sender. This morning the company called me and said that there is a $50 fee for not picking it up and that if I did not pay that fee they would send me to collection. I argued thoroughly with the company and they have said that they would send me to collection immediately. I also asked them to send me the product on specific date the 9th of November but they sent it to October 31st not giving me any time to obtain the money. What can I do to argue this case or prevent them from sending me to collection. I have not given them any personal info such as social security or credit card number.

You can pay or not pay. There probably isn't anything you can do to stop them from sending it to collections (if they decide to). Even then, you don't have to pay unless they get a judgment against you. However, being sent to collections could be a negative on your credit.

Back