Consumer Law, Warranties SellingX my car, not a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethsmom

I bought a car when my x and I lived out of state. It was with my money, and the title is under my name, all which I can prove because he wasn't working at the time, and all the bank deposits were from me working. We moved to CA, broke up, and he physically left with my car. I couldn't stop him, he literally walked out with it and he's bigger than me and has a very bad temper. I called the police. They said since we used to live together and have a child, that I needed to send a demand letter. I did so, and to make a long story short, I agreed very hesitantly to sell it to him. He also kept the cell phone which is under my mom's name, and wanted to buy my computer. We drew up a contract, and there were many conditions to this sale. He needed to make payments on time every month, and he needed to keep insurance and register the car. I didn't sign over the title. He never showed up to register the car when we had planned to, and didn't get insurance on the car. When I tried going over to talk to him about it, he ended up getting violent, even though he denied everything and the police dropped the charges. he did admit it, but not to the police, after the charges were dropped. We have been in and out of court, and now there is a restraining order against him. Last month, the payment was a week late, but we were about to go to a hearing, and I ddin't want to make matters worse. Now, he is late again. On top of that, he hasn't payed child support which he is ordered to do, and I don't want to take anything from him unless he pays that first. He is still driving around with the car unregistered, and as far as I know unisured. The contract says clearly that he is responsible for those things, and that if he doesn't pay by the due date I have every right to legally take posession of the car, and that he would not get his money back because he had sole use of the car. I don't want to go to court again, but it was my car, and he didn't live up to his end of the deal. We have a very sick son, and I don't want to deal with this, but I don't want to just give up the car. I can't deal with this for the next year, as he tries to pay this off. On top of that, he never did make any kind of payment for the computer, and left it here at the house. Is there anything I can do? If I did go to court, would I have a case? Does my mom have to send him notice to shut off the phone, if it's under her name, and he didn't pay the bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back