Selling a Timeshare to Someone in Mexico - Why do I need an RFC?

MBonafe

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

My wife an I own a timeshare in Florida. Early last week, I received a phone call from a company called 1st Realty LLC. The company is based in Washington, DC. I checked and they seem to be a legit company. The agent is explaining to me that someone in Mexico is making an offer to buy the property. Seemingly, we would make a profit. I know that normally to get out of a Timeshare, it costs thousands of dollars.

The twist: The buyer is in Mexico. The real estate company is telling me that I will need an RFC (a Mexican tax id) and that getting one will cost around $3,500. They are not offering to get the RFC on my behalf. I would need to arrange getting one. I've checked and I cannot find any reason why I would need it. The property is not in Mexico. I'm not a Mexican citizen. This is confusing me.

Can anyone explain why I would need an RFC? I feel like I'm probably being scammed.

Thanks

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

My wife an I own a timeshare in Florida. Early last week, I received a phone call from a company called 1st Realty LLC. The company is based in Washington, DC. I checked and they seem to be a legit company. The agent is explaining to me that someone in Mexico is making an offer to buy the property. Seemingly, we would make a profit. I know that normally to get out of a Timeshare, it costs thousands of dollars.

The twist: The buyer is in Mexico. The real estate company is telling me that I will need an RFC (a Mexican tax id) and that getting one will cost around $3,500. They are not offering to get the RFC on my behalf. I would need to arrange getting one. I've checked and I cannot find any reason why I would need it. The property is not in Mexico. I'm not a Mexican citizen. This is confusing me.

Can anyone explain why I would need an RFC? I feel like I'm probably being scammed.

Thanks
I highly suggest you contact the company you contracted to for the timeshare and ask if they will recognize this sale. I'm very much doubt they will and likely have their own steps for you to relinquish your ownership, Most timeshares do not recognize third party sales and you will still be responsible for fees associated with your account.

I work for one of the largest timeshare companies in the world and several times a month I speak to members that get these e-mails regarding this Mexican company that is trying to buy all the memberships/ownerships so that they will "own" the resort. It's a ridiculous scam. Don't give them any personal/banking/credit information. .

Last edited:
I highly suggest you contact the company you contracted to for the timeshare and ask if they will recognize this sale. I'm very much doubt they will and likely have their own steps for you to relinquish your ownership, Most timeshares do not recognize third party sales and you will still be responsible for fees associated with your account.

I work for one of the largest timeshare companies in the world and several times a month I speak to members that get these e-mails regarding this Mexican company that is trying to buy all the memberships/ownerships so that they will "own" the resort. It's a ridiculous scam. Don't give them any personal/banking/credit information. .

Thanks so much for responding. They don't have any of our financial information.

Back