Seeds of a lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysea

I was working as a school couselor in Oklahoma when the supt. called me into his office to say I was being RIF-fed (Reduction in Force) for financial reasons. He was making my job PT and giving it to a coach who has certification but has never done it before. He threatened to fire me immediately if I caused a disruption to the school over this RIF. My education rep said so long as I didn't rant and rave at the school, which I didn't do, I would be ok. The HS principal also accused me of harassing the coach which I didn't do. Then 6 weeks before school ended, the supt. called me into his office. I was to turn my keys in immediately and leave the school grounds. I was not to be allowed to come back except for my RIF hearing. He said I would get a letter in the mail explaining why he made me turn my keys in. I never got any such letter from him. The school board sided with him in my hearing. I was wondering if any info here has the seeds of a lawsuit in it. Thank you.

Originally posted by jaysea:
I was working as a school couselor in Oklahoma when the supt. called me into his office to say I was being RIF-fed (Reduction in Force) for financial reasons. He was making my job PT and giving it to a coach who has certification but has never done it before. He threatened to fire me immediately if I caused a disruption to the school over this RIF. My education rep said so long as I didn't rant and rave at the school, which I didn't do, I would be ok. The HS principal also accused me of harassing the coach which I didn't do. Then 6 weeks before school ended, the supt. called me into his office. I was to turn my keys in immediately and leave the school grounds. I was not to be allowed to come back except for my RIF hearing. He said I would get a letter in the mail explaining why he made me turn my keys in. I never got any such letter from him. The school board sided with him in my hearing. I was wondering if any info here has the seeds of a lawsuit in it. Thank you.
Were you able to be terminated at will? Was your employment by the government? Do you have a union? If your employment was at will then you might not have a lawsuit because you could be terminated any time and cause need not be given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back