Roomate security deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvta7

A friend of mine and myself moved into an apartment on 9/1/05 and signed a one year lease. on 9/1/06 our lease ended but we stayed there for another year without signing a new lease. in the begining of september 2007 (first or second week) i notified my roomate and the landlord i would be moving out at the begining of october.I paid rent for the whole month of october and moved out in the first week.his cousin moved in at the start of november. the problem is that i never got my security deposit refunded.i spoke with his cousin at the begining of december about the security deposit and she said she would have it shortly.Then she said she'd have it in april when she gets her tax refund. 3 more letters and countless unanswered phone calls i still don't have my security deposit. i was recently laid off and could really use that money. who's responsibility is it? the landlords or the newer tenant. i live on long island in nassau county. help please.

At the time of the move out, you were considered a month to month tenant (i.e., your initial one year lease had expired). As such, you gave adequate notice to vacate your rental.

Your landlord must return your security deposit (minus any deductions for damages) within a "reasonable" amount of time in your state. Although your state doesn't specify a particular time period, you could certainly argue they certainly haven't done this if you're still trying to get this more than a year later.

http://www.nslawservices.org/sh_securitydep.shtml

You can consider legal action against the landlord for failure to return this within a reasonable period of time.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back