Security Deposit not Returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetee1229

Good afternoon,
I am facing a big problem with my previous landlord. I moved out of the home that I was renting on July 31, 2007. I moved in the home on July 1, 2005 with first/last and security. ($1700 each = $5100)

The last month that I stayed in the home I did not have to pay rent to the landlord because the initial last month was applied to that month but I was not able to stay in the home because the air conditioner was broken, the kitchen ceiling was leaking and there was a mildew stench in the home.

The landlord was in the process of selling the home, which I was told that when the closing occurred, my deposit would be returned to me from the closing money that he was going to receive.

This closing fell through and now I am having to use phones of friends just to get in contact with the landlord to find out information on the deposit refund.

Today, I finally reached him again to get the information from a different phone and I was informed that the deal fell through on the house and I would have to wait on receiving the deposit money back. I printed out the law in Florida and read that he had until the 15th to give me the money back or until the 30th to have a certified letter sent stating which deductions were going to be taken from the deposit for any repairs. What do I do from this point? The 30th is right around the corner and I have not received any information other than he wants to talk to his wife on how to get the money back to me.

Please help. I owe my current landlord money for the deposit on my new home and he is aware of what I am waiting on from the previous landlord but I do not want to lose my home over this. I have 2 children that I need to keep a roof over.

Please help.
Thank you,
Tiffany Stevenson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back