Security Deposit Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Caley

Jurisdiction
California
I've never heard of Security Deposit Insurance before i moved in to my last apartment but i was given the option of paying 150 non-refundable for security deposit insurance or a $750 security deposit. Upon moving out they claimed i caused damage which i am not disputing and that the damage was around $800 or so dollars. They want me to pay the entire amount of the damages and my question now is, what was the security deposit insurance for? shouldn't the insurance cover at least part of the damages? Also i never received anything from any insurance company stating what was insured or how much insurance i had or whether or not there was a deductable. All of this was handled through the apartment. This sounds fishy to me. what can i do?

You can direct ALL of your questions to the management of the apartment complex.

In the end, if you didn't BUY the "insurance" when offered, it doesn't apply to you now.

You should ask for an itemized list of all the damages and repairs.
If you disagree, you SUE the complex in small claims court.

Small Claims - small_claims_selfhelp

what was the security deposit insurance for? shouldn't the insurance cover at least part of the damages?

Am I to infer that you actually paid the $150 when you moved in?

If you did then it was up to you to find out what it was all about before you handed over the money. Seems like common sense to me.

Also i never received anything from any insurance company stating what was insured or how much insurance i had or whether or not there was a deductable.

Didn't receive? Well, didn't you ask? You should have determined all that before paying. What does your lease say about it?

All of this was handled through the apartment. This sounds fishy to me.

What's fishy to me is that somebody forks over $150 without knowing what it's buying.

what can i do?

Depends on the terms and conditions of your lease (which I can't see from here).

You can direct ALL of your questions to the management of the apartment complex.

In the end, if you didn't BUY the "insurance" when offered, it doesn't apply to you now.

You should ask for an itemized list of all the damages and repairs.
If you disagree, you SUE the complex in small claims court.

Small Claims - small_claims_selfhelp

I did buy the insurance, and i'm not debating the damages. please read my original post.

Am I to infer that you actually paid the $150 when you moved in?

If you did then it was up to you to find out what it was all about before you handed over the money. Seems like common sense to me.

Didn't receive? Well, didn't you ask? You should have determined all that before paying. What does your lease say about it?

What's fishy to me is that somebody forks over $150 without knowing what it's buying.

Depends on the terms and conditions of your lease (which I can't see from here).

I have an analogy to go with your answer. Say you ask to buy a sandwich and i sell you a turd sandwich. then you complain and i say "well you didn't specifically ask NOT to get a turd sandwich so thats on you buddy"

All jest aside, what i was more getting at here is: is it LEGAL for them to sell my insurance such as this? As far as i am aware, i can't just go and sell some random insurance that i made up to some guy on the street as there are probably government agencies that regulate such things. I was hoping to get an answer from an informed lawyer or perhaps someone in the insurance business.

I have an analogy to go with your answer. Say you ask to buy a sandwich and i sell you a turd sandwich. then you complain and i say "well you didn't specifically ask NOT to get a turd sandwich so thats on you buddy"

All jest aside, what i was more getting at here is: is it LEGAL for them to sell my insurance such as this? As far as i am aware, i can't just go and sell some random insurance that i made up to some guy on the street as there are probably government agencies that regulate such things. I was hoping to get an answer from an informed lawyer or perhaps someone in the insurance business.

Here's a thought, HIRE a lawyer to get LEGAL advice.
I'm a lawyer, in fact a lawyer licensed in Texas, as well as other states.
No one on this site gives legal advice.
We dispense information, and always advise people to discuss their issues with licensed attorneys in their state.

As far as insurance, you can discuss this matter with the insurance commissioner in CA, Dave Jones:

California Department of Insurance

You're done here, BIGSHOT, goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back