Security Deposit Deductions in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliot250

We recently moved out of a rental house, and we received our deposit check back today minus two deductions. The first was for $100 to clean carpets and the second was for $1,000 for "damage to roof: unauthorized dish installation, that pierced the roof."

The letter from our landlord states, "You did not get permission to put up the dish and pierced the new roof. It will never be the same." He goes on to write, "If you sue us we will counter sue you and take you to court for a full sheet of plywood, roof repair, new shingles, attorney, and court costs."

When we moved into this house, we did ask about installing a dish, and our landlord agreed. (I know...should have gotten it in writing.) Also, the roof on this house was not technically new; the house was two years old when we moved in. We left the dish there upon moving out of the house. There are no leaks in the roof and no holes visible.

May I request copies of estimates/receipts for removal of the dish before agreeing to such costs? If he deducts the $1,000, is he obligated to remove the dish and make said repairs? And if so, can I request said money if he does not make repairs in a timely manner? How long does he have to remove the dish? Finally, if he has not already removed the dish (which he has not), can I offer to remove the dish and repair the roof myself?

On a side note, this house is currently on the market as a short sale and the landlord is deliquent in property taxes.

Thank you very much for your help. My husband is deployed to Iraq, and I am trying to clear this all up on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back