Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Second Offender-What Will Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Civil Demand has "nothing" to do with your criminal case. As you have been told several time syou need to talk to a Lawyer. Many Judges really frown on second offenders. What your hoping for is a real push as in courts eyes you were already given a chance and you repeated crime. Talk to a Lawyer!!

I've already said several times I can't afford a lawyer :( That's thousands of dollars I don't have. I have a $600 limit on my credit card, and a little over $300 in savings that was supposed to go towards paying my husband's mom back and our first furniture at his first post. Basically, with the compromise of the misdemeanor, if you pay the victim what they asked for and additional court fees immediately, it can be dropped.

2.1 The Defendant agrees to pay all court costs.
2.2 The victim has received full satisfaction for the loss or injury incurred in this incident, in
the sum of $_______________plus the following additional compensation:___________
_______________________________________________________________________.
III. ORDER
IT IS ORDERED that the charge set forth in paragraph 1.2 is hereby settled by compromise of misdemeanor and that this case can be dismissed upon the Defendant's payment of court costs of $_______________ by _________________________.

So I know I have to get a Public Defender, but I can't ask for one until the arraignment. Do you think if I presented this, it would be a viable option?

First off many Lawyers offer free consultations (I believe you were told that) take them up on it. Your document is nice but your biggest problem is this is not your first offense. Your asking for things normally offered for a first offender who has learned their lesson (not saying you haven't) You need to talk to a Lawyer about this. It will be great if you get outcome you desire but I would not bet the farm on it

Oh, I've learned my lesson. I was doing so great for 3 or 4 months, and then I found out recently that my husband lost his dream job because he failed security clearance from my record. I was already severely depressed without him, and the fact that I did that to him made it so much worse. Taking things I didn't even need or want filled an empty void. I felt hopeless and worthless because my parents said it was all my fault that happened to him, and I had nobody to talk to about how it made me feel. My best friend moved away, and the only other friend I had started smoking pot and I didn't want to be a part of that. So because of this, my family won't communicate with me, and I don't get to choose when my husband wants to communicate with me. I have nobody. I feel like this was the culmination of the worst time in my life, and that being with my husband, having the opportunity to get away and make up everything to him by being a good military wife, would turn my whole life around. The road to recovery is bumpy, but I know having people to talk to, friends I make at his first post, psychiatrists and counselors under our new insurance, and most of all him, would make it so much more smoother. I'm just so worried I won't be able to explain myself or how I feel when I go before the judge, and losing this opportunity would put me into an even deeper void that will be much harder to get out of with no support.

Your "poor me" plea may not be the wisest defense. You need to discuss plans with a Lawyer! I understand what your saying but why should Judge buy that after all its second time! Nothing you stated excuses you for what you did. That is what Judge is going to see. Do you have any clue how many "poor me take pity" pleas he hears? Most are faked!! No you need to do as you were told talk to some Lawyers come up with some ideas for plea deals. At this point your biggest concern should be to stay out of jail!! That is the reality of a second offense!

Here is the seriousness of your situation. I talked with an Attorney in your state today. You "could" be looking at fines of $1000.00 (not including Civil Demand) and 90 days in jail. You need a Lawyer!!

I can't get a lawyer. I'm going to ask for a Public Defender. I finished my NASP course yesterday. It really opened my eyes to just how many people are affected by an incident of shoplifting. I bawled reading the story of the man and wife with "the perfect marriage." She just kept on stealing, but her husband's story clearly showed how it was affecting their marriage and their family. It hit me the closest because my family and my husband are most important. Since I started the course, I make lists before going to the store, and I carry the wallet insert with me in case I ever get tempted again- although I can tell you that I am paranoid now and will never do it again! I'll let everyone know how the case goes. Right now, I'm hoping I can be there to support the man I am proud of and cherish the most in my life when he graduates from Basic Training. He deserves the best for all he's done, and he supports me for seeking help for my shoplifting addiction. What happens after- whether or go to jail, gigantic fines- that is up to me and the judge. I'm ready-scared- but this time is the last time. I recommend anyone who thinks they need it to get the NASP course. It's worth it. And don't just stop there, go to church, go to counseling, whatever you need to get help. Admitting you need help is a good step towards redeeming the trust of others.

Hey, I have a question that I think I forgot to ask. When you go to an arraignment, do you talk to your Public Defender then? How do you work out the next trial date, and what is the average amount of time between an arraignment and a pre-trial? Should I bring my finished NASP course, my letter to the judge, and all other materials to the arraignment?

How soon you talk to Public Defender will depend on court and how busy the Public Defender is

Long shot here- but what is the likelihood that I could get a deal at the arraignment?

Also- got my results back from NASP. I didn't have a judge on my papers, or a probation officer, so I don't know who else my results got sent to.

I scored an "A" and it advised some sort of therapy or counseling. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist that I had before I lost my insurance next month. Is it weird that I'm actually excited to not feel crazy again? :?

Oh! And has anyone read Something For Nothing? I just finished it. There was a lot of questions in there and space to write your answers, but I wanted to save the book and give it to my little sister, who has also shoplifted before. That book inspired me. He had priors and still became a successful lawyer and counselor, so it gives me hope that when I go back to college, I might be able to achieve the same dreams I had before I screwed up.

Whether or not your current Judge see or find your priors is unknown where were they at local or what? The time frame betwen offenses is important as well they may not dig far back who knows. Teh NASP class was excellent choice this site supports the NASP and its efforts. You need to sit doen with Attorney as you can get some of that info you want

Both the cases are at the Municipal/District Court, so I'm assuming in county and out of county are same courts. The last offense was four months ago. I have paid all the court fines and civil for that, but it's there. I worry about that a lot, because I feel like a total moron for doing it again. That was my first time, this was my second. The whole week the second time I did it was just...awful. Awful. But I'm dead set on getting back on my medication and seeing my psych at least twice a month. I just wish there was a C.A.S.A group here. I know for sure that this is the last time. In fact, as terrible as it was, I feel like my whole life has turned around. :D My husband is really proud of me for seeking help, because clearly, as I did it a second time, it is an addiction. I went back to church, started socializing again, and even though my depression is still here, I'm not going to let it ruin me. If all works out, I'll be joining my husband at his first post, getting a dog, thinking about having kids, and just being the supportive wife I should have been months ago instead of letting myself fall into this funk. I'm truly thankful for all the support on here from other users and Admin's. Even though I'm terrified about what will happen to me, I've seen myself in a new light as someone who can identify my reasons for shoplifting and fight them. I don't even think about doing it again, and I'm proud to pay for my things. That saying about how it's always darkest before the light- I feel like that is how it is for me.

So, went to court today- got offered no deals.

I had to sign something that is basically putting both my cases together, and I'm going to pre-trial September 29th. I have decided, that even though I can't afford it, I will find a way to get an attorney. Do I need to hire a specific type of attorney? I'm facing two counts now (I'm confused, but it's not up to me how they work that out) of City theft, which are gross misdemeanors.

So what I'm asking is-
a) How much is it typically for an attorney?
b) What kind of attorney do I get?
c) Is it possible to work out a deal at pre-trial? (I'm supposed to be moving with my husband before the end of the year, most likely sooner)
d) What kind of deal or deals do you think I can get, seeing as I've been getting therapy, have taken the NASP course, have been going to church, etc? Are they even going to care that I've been making progress? Is an attorney going to keep me out of jail?

So what I'm asking is-
a) How much is it typically for an attorney?
Dpends on what they do you need to ask. At very least I suspect $1000.00
b) What kind of attorney do I get?
Criminal defense
c) Is it possible to work out a deal at pre-trial? (I'm supposed to be moving with my husband before the end of the year, most likely sooner)
Peobably talk to your Attorney. However with this being second offense jail is an option
d) What kind of deal or deals do you think I can get, seeing as I've been getting therapy, have taken the NASP course, have been going to church, etc? Are they even going to care that I've been making progress? Is an attorney going to keep me out of jail?
We cant say talk to your Attorney

Got an attorney today, and back on my medication. Feeling much better, and looking forward to a future with my wonderful husband after everything is resolved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back