Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant searching car trunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkbroiler

What rights do the police have in searching your car and the trunk?
I was stopped the other night for being in a park after 10 and they asked to search my car and searched the front but not the trunk. they found nothing in the front. i had several old beers in the car but they were in the trunk? how come they didnt search the trunk?

Originally posted by bkbroiler:
What rights do the police have in searching your car and the trunk?
I was stopped the other night for being in a park after 10 and they asked to search my car and searched the front but not the trunk. they found nothing in the front. i had several old beers in the car but they were in the trunk? how come they didnt search the trunk?
Can't tell you exactly why they didn't search the trunk but be glad they didn't poke around! :D Police do have a right to conduct reasonable searches in justifiable circumstances (I think that there is another thread here with more details about this.) These circumstances usually occur when there is "probable cause." If you were in a park when it was closed this makes more sense. Searching your trunk may not have been reasonable and only a plain view search may have been justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back