School's Right to Force a Student to Remove a Shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildrainbows20

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Ok, Well I'm a highschool student, and I want to have a shirt printed up to the effects of "Stamp out the ObamaNation," or "Now all we have left is an ObamaNation." Before I have them mass-produced to accommodate my friends, I would like to know if my highschool constitutionally has the right to punish me/force me to remove the shirt. Would it go against my right to freedom of speech?? (Please do not bash me for not supporting Obama, everyone has the right to express their opinion, this is the way I would like mine to be heard because I'm not of the voting age.)

You will have to read your school handbook and see what they say about political t-shirts and clothing policies. Freedom of speech is not guaranteed everywhere.

My school's policy says nothing about political ANYTHING but im not sure if they would approve, even there's nothing in our handbook about it, and could they punish the wearer? or just have them remove it from their body?

If they allow any political speech on shirts, and cannot sufficiently articulate how that shirt will disrupt school activities, then they should allow you to wear it.

Check out Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District for further.

I will be speaking to my son's high school principal tomorrow on a similar matter since a large number of students were ordered to remove stickers that said, "Obama, boo, and Chelsea's mother, too" (or something like that). But, apparently no students sporting pro Obama shirts, stickers, etc., were required to disrobe or remove those items. I intend to find out what the story is and raise a stink if the policy does not cover BOTH sides.

- Carl

There are also people supporting him wearing a shirt with his face, and they were not (to my knowledge) asked to remove them, should I present it to them if asked to remove the shirt that they should apply the policy to all students, and not just students who are anti-Obama?

I certainly would. I'd print this up and bring it with me as a handout to the administration:

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org..._Des_Moines_Independent_Community_School_Dist

I intend to bring it to my meeting with the principal, and will be polite and reasonable unless I am told that only one side of the equation will be told to stifle their speech, or, am presented with objective proof that the actions (of the stickers) were disruptive and not simply the result of pro-Obama students making a stink. I know my school admin. here, so I anticipate them being reasonable, and I may not have the whole story. You should go in with an open mind, but be prepared to stand your ground if need be.

Good luck. Above all, be polite, reasonable, and simply explain that you wish to peacefully exercise your First Amendment right to quietly and peaceably express your point of view.

If no one is allowed to do so, so be it ... but, if only the pro-Obama crowd is stifled, they are clearly going to be in the wrong.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back