School Negligence

S

student2016

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello,
Can I sue University X of state of Washington for negligence?
This is what happened. I was admitted to summer quarter as a transfer student from a college of the state of Washington. My tuition statement showed I was non resident and I had to pay non resident tuition. I went to the office of the registrar the first day of summer quarter to ask if I had to submit any forms. She looked into my student account and I only had a noticed from financial aid in need of proof of citizenship. I turned it in and waited for it to be processed. Four weeks later, I went again because my residency status did not change. I was advice to keep waiting... again. By the end of summer quarter, I decided to email them instead. It was then when they told me the form I had submitted was for financial aid purposes and I had to fill out a residency questionnaire. I couldn't register for fall quarter because I had pending tuition due. I called them to have that removed and they said I had to pay, and they would reimburse me after my paperwork was processed. I had to pay $8000 with my credits card in order to register for fall quarter. Now that I have been reclassified as a resident, they wont reimburse me because the deadline to fill out the residency questionnaire is past due. The person that got me into this mess in first place is not willing to help me and students affairs doesn't want to get involve. I missed the deadline because they misinformed me. I want to get my money back. Can I sue them for negligence, not getting student support from the school, and damages inflicted?

You filled out the incorrect form and missed the deadline to be considered as a resident student. That is on you. There is nothing to sue them for. Often the forms to be considered a resident student must be submitted before classes even begin. Proof of citizenship has nothing to do with this, though it is typically required for many forms of financial aid.

That's my point. I went to ask for clarification on my residency status since I never heard from them when I applied. At the same time, financial aid office sent me an email requesting proof of citizenship. When the registrar looked at my student account, she only saw that email. She advice me to fill out the wrong form to be classified as a resident. I even went to ask again during the quarter, and I was advice to keep waiting. If I missed the deadline, it was because I was given the wrong information.

That's my point. I went to ask for clarification on my residency status since I never heard from them when I applied. At the same time, financial aid office sent me an email requesting proof of citizenship. When the registrar looked at my student account, she only saw that email. She advice me to fill out the wrong form to be classified as a resident. I even went to ask again during the quarter, and I was advice to keep waiting. If I missed the deadline, it was because I was given the wrong information.

If there is a remedy available to you, it'll only be found somewhere among the school's hierarchy.

Again, IF, such a remedy exists it can't be found on this website.

Back