school bus arm

dudeson

A school bus on a four lane highway with a grassy meridian was in an exit lane going into a subdivision. It was parallel to, but not in the right lane. I was in the far left lane and it appeared to be a emergency response vehicle at first, upon moving closer I did not see any passengers in or outside the vehicle. The traffic in front of me kept traveling as if the bus was out of service. All of the documentation I've found indicate the bus being completely in the right lane and not off road. I cannot find any information pertaining to this situation, so it is not what my behavior should be in in this situation. Is there any other documentation on this?

Your question really isn't clear. Try again.

Red lights were flashing? The stop sign arm was extended? As you approached you recognized it as a school bus but continued without stopping? Did the police stop you or did you receive a citation in the mail?

A school bus on a four lane highway with a grassy meridian was in an exit lane going into a subdivision. It was parallel to, but not in the right lane. I was in the far left lane and it appeared to be a emergency response vehicle at first, upon moving closer I did not see any passengers in or outside the vehicle. The traffic in front of me kept traveling as if the bus was out of service. All of the documentation I've found indicate the bus being completely in the right lane and not off road. I cannot find any information pertaining to this situation, so it is not what my behavior should be in in this situation. Is there any other documentation on this?

Here you go, dudeson, the GA school bus law explained in words and pictures.

In your scenario, as I understand you, you were traveling in the same direction as the bus on a highway with a median.
Had you been traveling in the OPPOSITE direction, you would NOT have had to stop and obey the extended STOP sign.
However, it doesn't matter what type of roadway you are on when traveling in the SAME direction as the bus, you must stop.

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/transportation/OperationStopArm.pdf

Back