1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

schedules on seniority

Discussion in 'Law School & Careers in Law' started by angel120976, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angel120976

angel120976 Law Topic Starter New Member

I work for a business that has recently changed business hours from 8-5PM m-f to 8am-8pm m-f. We work for a non union organization..Is it legal to use the "seniority" concept to make those with less years work til 8 all the time? Is this discriminating against my age because most above me in seniority has worked here longer than I have been born?

2. jacksgal

jacksgal Super Moderator

This action is not illegal. In order to be discriminated it has to be do to your belonging to a protected class. Senority or lack of is not a protected class

3. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

The law does not require that employers do or do not use seniority as a basis for scheduling. Seniority means nothing whatsoever in the eyes of the law.

If the employer wants to use seniority it making up the schedules, they may. If they want to completely ignore seniority in making up the schedules, they may do that. "Seniority" is not a characteristic protected by law.