1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Scammers

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by Justice seeker, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Justice seeker

Justice seeker Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    Paid for a service and not delivered! In Hayward Ca I answered an add to rent a room paid $600. Deposit. When I went to move in, scammer wouldn’t open door. He block my calls and texts.isn’t that considered a crime? Theft?

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

Possibly, but easier to pursue in a civil court.

Have you reported this to police?
    Regardless of the police report, you can pursue the other party in small claims court.

However, I have a suspicion you may have paid cash and can't prove you ever made a payment, and you likely don't have a receipt or written lease to support your claim. I also suspect it is very possible you don't know the full name, or possibly the true name, of the person you paid. For your sake I hope you have something to work with.

Justice seeker likes this.
  3. Justice seeker

Justice seeker Law Topic Starter New Member

Thanks for quick response. Yes I have a receipt. I found add in Facebook. I have his name and witnesses.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Good. File suit in small claims court though I think CA small claims requires you to make a demand first, preferably in writing.

Here's a link to the court self help page.

Small Claims - small_claims_selfhelp

Pura Puresa likes this.