Trademark Same website name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsey720

Hello,

If I were wanting to create a website with the name "X.ca" and another website also has the same name but with "X.com" am I able to legally use this name? "X.com" is owned by a business who has "Copyright © 2002 - 2010 Corporation Name, Inc All rights reserved." at the bottom of their home page. I want to register a different corporation name but use the "X.ca". The site looks completely different but we both sell the same type of products. Any advice would be appreciated? Am I infringing on copyright issues?

Thanks,
Kelsey

Your issue has to do with trademark, not copyright. Everything concerns the domain name - is it a word? Is it a common group of words like "greatcandy" or the like? Is it a fanciful name or combination of slang, e.g. "candyrama" or "candelicious" or something similar. Much will revolve around (a) whether there is a likelihood of confusion between your businesses (and it seems this is likely) and, (b) whether there is a trademark registered in your country, and (c) where you intend to do business or have done business. A business could operate in Canada and another in the US, each with their own trademark protecting their respective areas. The answer is not that simple and is completely fact specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back