1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Sales tax

Discussion in 'Consumer Law, Contracts, Warranties' started by Sentrand, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sentrand

Sentrand Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ohio
    Probably not in the correct area.
    I switched phone carriers last week. I purchased a phone for $49 for switching. looking at the receipt I was charged sales tax on the original price of $399. Shouldn’t I have been charged sales tax on the sale price?
    also I saw charges for Ohio state sales tax and county sales tax. I’ve never seen that before! And I do have my receipt.

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

When you get a discounted phone in connection with a promo or carrier switch, you typically pay sales tax on the full retail price of the phone.

Zigner likes this.
  3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

It's that kind of thing that makes me happy to use a Tracfone.

4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

The OP's lucky s/he bought such an inexpensive phone.

5. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

Let me guess: you got the phone for $49 but signed on for a contract with the carrier that commits you to being with the carrier for some period of time, likely two years, right? If so then while you only paid $49 cash up front for the phone, the rest of the cost of that phone is in that contract you signed up for. The state charges the sales tax on the full cost of the phone in that circumstance.

Cities and counties in Ohio may impose their own sales taxes on top of the state sales tax. It the local sales taxes might not always be separately stated on the receipt you get, but the sales tax you pay will be the combined state and local rates if the sales tax is not broken down for you.