Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Sad story

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrinkmaster

I thought I had forgotten this case until yesterday, before we get there lets go back in time to around 2003/4 I was working Loss Prevention for major retailer (name withheld) and I spotted a youngster (later to be found out was only 13) selecting and concealing store merchandise in back pack he had with him. I followed him through store until he exited store. In accordance with store policy I IDed myself as Loss Prevention and asked him to stop. He kept walking but did notice me. I lightly placed my hand on his shoulder to get his attention in a more direct way but not in an aggressive manner. The young man bit my hand near my thumb and tried to flee. I caught him within 10 to 15 feet put him down on Mall floor and held him until back up arrived. Police charged him with "strong arm robbery" due to bite. I declined medical assistance as he never broke my skin but did leave tooth impressions. Both the Police and Mall security were very aware of the young man who had a prior history (negative) with Mall over other incidents including shoplifting. I recall thinking this young man was throwing away his life.

Fast forward to present day and this same youngster is now 18/19. There was a knock at my door yesterday afternoon and a lady (name withheld) from the Public Defenders office title Capital Defender Investigator introduced herself. She asked if I recalled (name withheld) name drew a blank but she reminded me of an incident while working for (store name withheld) where I injured my hand or thumb? I said "when the a kid bit me?" she replied yes. She was collecting history on this young man as he is looking at a "Death Sentence" over a charge he is now facing. Details were not given but for death to be option he must have killed someone. Not only that it cant be a simple murder for him to be facing death. In it needs to be "special circumstances" not just a murder. Sadly my prediction was true I was seeing someone years before who was and would be throwing away his life. Now I deal with shoplifting internal and external for a living and this story can be used to show others how what seems like small issue can progress to serious ending. Its my hope, regardless of what happens to this young man, that my telling his story can save just one life from being doomed like his.

Having hammered some shoplifters in my younger days, I sympathize. It is things like that in life that make you wonder if you could have done something just a small bit different to change the long term outcome.

I have spent last 24 hours wondering if there was anything I could have said or done that might have steered him from the path he choose or even made him think. I am guessing MightyMoose and Carl have many stories like this one

It is frustrating, but people are free to make their own choices in life.

There are a few kids I can think of which I dealt with regularly just as runaways or other petty things and they are already dead. The local gang culture swallows these kids up.

The kid in your case had been in and out of trouble for a long time. There is nothing you could have done differently that wasn't already tried.

From shoplifting to murder & possible death sentence - that is so very, very sad. You can't beat yourself up over it though - nothing you could have done & how would you have known this one shoplifter would later murder someone.

Here are a few links to my own sad story from a few years back. The local paper recently did a follow-up (last link) on one of the victims so it is fresh on my mind. The teens in this incident had multiple previous contacts and weren't as innocent as their families want to believe. The tragedy is with the children and the senseless harm inflicted on the family and an entire community.
I am very fortunate that I was not involved in the actual pursuit, but sadly I was there within a couple minutes to deal with the aftermath.
Anyway, same idea... we often deal with low level stuff until it eventually becomes something like this.

http://www.reedleyexponent.com/articles/2009/08/14/news/doc4a8316659f4d1684319626.txt

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6957385

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6958325

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7021794

http://www.thedinubasentinel.com/articles/2013/07/18/news/doc51e82d4f2cc7e224340945.txt

Oh man, so sad & tragic - that was hard to read. I can't imagine having to see that. Yep, there is the every day stuff & then on occasion there is this.

I realize (if I am honest) that there is little I could have done to prevent this result. Its just sad and I think back to that day and once I knew his history at age 13 I had already thought that this young man was throwing away his life now he has

Shrinkmaster - so very sorry to hear about this shoplifting case of deja vu. These issues are always difficult and frequently heartbreaking. Many times these are kids who have had a very hard time growing up but it's not always the case. Some are born without a conscience, aggression hard wired into their DNA, etc. and they will continue to get into trouble. They will see a criminal attorney more often than their relatives. There is only so much you can do to help them out. And what do we do with those who will never learn or have no care to learn? So many questions, no great clear cut answers. And no, I don't think that you could have done anything.

mightymoose - wow. I just don't know what to say. Those news stories were tough to read. Just have to remember that, as disagreeable says, sometimes you DO make a difference. But it's quite possible that you'll never hear about the impact as you do seeing these stories make the news. Always important to remember that there are times where you may just save someone and it is worth the effort.

Fortunately I have seen a positive impact I have had on other just not in Loss Prevention. As a recovering alky and occasional substance abuse counselor I have had people come to me and say "I remember when you said (insert statement) and I never forgot it and have been sober now (insert time period). I always treasure those moments. Its that part of my life that makes feel I might have said or done something that could have pointed him in different direction. Although MM case is truly heartbreaking as well I knew he and Carl would understand. I am sharing this story in hopes that a young person or parent reads it and somehow inspires action to prevent another case like this. I may never know but its comforting to know that this story has potential to save a life as does MM's story.

Fortunately I have seen a positive impact I have had on other just not in Loss Prevention. As a recovering alky and occasional substance abuse counselor I have had people come to me and say "I remember when you said (insert statement) and I never forgot it and have been sober now (insert time period). I always treasure those moments.

That's great, shrinkmaster. I have the actual date (you gave it to me one time) but I will not post it here that you stopped drinking. It's been a long time & that's great also.

Yep - that is the date I have. Why I don't know but I wasn't sure you wanted it posted here. It's actually something to be very proud of though. I have it as the birthday/anniversary of when you stopped drinking.

Which is how I celebrate it as a birthday!

I know. :) That is why I have it down as your birthday/anniversary. I like to keep information like that though I have it under another name - one you use on another forum.

Yes, that is probably what they want to know - about his violent past. That is really sad & too bad you had to be reminded of it again, not that you will ever forget it.

I don't know what you say to someone who is testifying in a case like this. :( It's just sad. You can only be truthful & remember it is very doubtful you could have done/said anything to have kept him from taking the path that he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back