Roommates are fighting/ignoring 3 day pay or vacate, still not paying. Help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alindly89

So here's my dilemma.
I am a single mother currently subletting a room in my home (that i rent) to a military couple with a toddler, on a month to month basis. This was supposed to be temporary, as he is waiting to be discharged, and move to Idaho. Had them sign a leasing agreement, $500 due on the 2nd of the month. In the 3 months they have been here, they have not paid rent on time, at any point. At first, i was trying to work with them, as I understand moving is expensive, and allowed them an extra week to pay first months rent, and only took $300, out of the $433 for partial month payment. (I know now, this was a horrible idea, but I needed someone moved in quickly).
The next month, their car broke down, again took $300 on the 4th, $200 on the 16th.
November rent, they gave me $200 on the 3rd, I gave them 10 days (on the 4th, because they put the money on the counter and hid in their room before i saw it) to come up with the $433 they owed me for back rent. The 15th (11th day) they paid in full.
Now it is December, he is scheduled to be out of the army by the end of this month, and they have not paid rent AT ALL, telling me on the 3rd, by text they didnt have rent, ask my landlord if i can pay 2 weeks late. I refused, as it affects my renting history (Master tenant). I got a loan from a friend to pay on time. Told them if they can't afford rent, they should look for some where else, because I can't afford to support them and myself.
My mother (im 22) contacted his SGT, because she knows he gets a housing allowance, and maybe his SGT could help them with their rent, iun turn helping me. In response, the wife went through my things to find MY lease aggreement, to obtain my landlord's name, to get me evicted for subletting. Thankfully, I already discussed this with my landlord, and he was ok with it. i served them with a 3 day notice Thursday night(the 8th), Ive explained if they cant afford it, I need to move in someone who can. They retaliated by giving me a list of laws saying i put their daughter in danger (for giving my preschooler fruit juice, while their daughter is allergic to apple concentrate), they dont have to give 20 days notice because military status, have to be on a month to month (they are), (dont think they actually read the laws), and that i have to give them a reciept, even if they dont ask for one (Didnt know, not sure if i can give it to them now?) And a answer to a legal question online they printed saying they only have to pay a late fee if their on a lease (but it said a year lease, not month to month).
Anyways, they havent made any effort to come up with rent, or pack. What are my rights as the master tenant/their landlord?
I cant afford heating costs, or replace the food theyre eating, and dont think they are actually going to pay the 14th, as they are supposed to move to Idaho at the end of the month, and Christmas is just around the corner, especially with their payment history.

Sorry, there is no quick or easy way to have these deadbeats ousted.

This is why it is never wise to sublet.

Now you'll have to evict them properly.

Google eviction for non-payment f rent, California.

Then get Dow to your local courthouse, get the forms, pay the filing fees, get the ball rolling, and wait.

Eviction can take six to eight weeks to effect, and sometimes can take as long as twelve weeks.

In the interim, don't expect them to pay, and don't ever expect to receive a dime they owe you.

But, do expect to see them removed by the sheriff next year.

This won't be done by the holidays.

In the meantime, don't do anything retaliatory, and don't lock them out.

If you screw with the m, they'll be able to sue you.

Once you start the process, you must follow the law.

In most California counties, forms can be obtained from the court online.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

In the future, don't ever take in a sublet.

The reason people sublet is because they can't pay, or have previously been evicted.

Do not do this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back