Roomate Roommate will not resign lease with short notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quality09

Both my roommate and I are in the military. She is on a deployment right now and the lease is about to expire. She left all her belongings here because she planned on moving back in hen she returned. I explained the situation to our landlord before she left and they told me to have her leave me a POA so I could resign for her. She never left the POA so I went back to the office and the said that it would be okay as long as she sign when she get back. When I dropped off the lease with only my signature they said they wanted an email signature from her until she returned. I started to email her and let her know but I wanted to get the email address for the office so she could email them directly but when I called the office to get the address they told me that I could just bring the lease back and they'll scan it and email it to her. I said okay because I was pretty busy. She took offense to that because she didn't get the email from me personally. She then had her ex call me and tell me that he's coming to get her things because she won't be signing the lease. I wanted to know what options I have pertaining to her still paying rent since she didn't give me any notice at all and what do I do with her things? To reiterate, she left her things and kept paying rent leaving me with a sense of security that she would keep paying rent and resign the lease.:confused:

Thank you in advance
Terry

P.S. There was a possibility of me getting out early and I told her that I would let her know as soon as I found out any information and it that was the case that I would put her things in Storage and send her the keys and location of her property. I also told her that the rental office told me that with my separation papers she had 3 choices
1. stay in the 2 bdr
2. move into a 1 bdr
3. break the lease with no consequences

Your arguement stems from an alledged binding contract between you an dformer roomate. There is not contract just assumptions. The lease is a contract between you, your former roomate and, Landlord. Not between you and former roomate! In order for you to recoup any possible loses due to roomate leaving without notice then you wil need to sue former roomate in small claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back