roommate subletting w/o permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehi1206

I am posting this message on behalf of a friend of mine. She lived in the other unit of the duplex next to the one I was renting and referenced in a previous post.

She and her roommate were both on the lease. She moved out with 6 months remaining on the lease. She has continued to pay her portion of the rent. Her roommate then sublet her portion of the unit. So, he is basically getting his rent for free. Her lease specifically states that there is no subletting without the LL permission. She has complained to the LL about the subletting who refuses to even investigate the aligation. The LL has only asked the roommate about it and he said they were just visiting for a couple of weeks. She has seen the vehicles of these sublettors for 2+ mos. She would like to get out of paying the remaining portion of the rent. Does the LL have a responsibility to investigate the subletting? Does she have any course of action in withholding the rent? Does she have any course of action against the roommate for illegally subletting the unit without her permission? Can she go in and take pictures to prove to the LL that it is being sublet? Does she have any right to force the sublettors to leave? Is there anything she can do? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back