Roommate replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesCotton

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice. I currently live with a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment. I have given notice to both my property manager and roommate that I will be moving out in 30 days. Luckily my roommate found a replacement roommate quickly and smoothly, they filled out an application and it was approved so we are good to go. The property manager said that instead of having them sign another year lease he will let them stay month to month (what we are currently on) and that upon their move in, the new roommate can just pay me my half of the security deposit that I originally paid to the property management company, instead of the property manager doing a walk through and having them sign a new lease with new security deposit.

So, the new roommate gave me a check for the portion of the security deposit I paid when I originally moved in, and I am to be completely removed from the lease at the end of this month and her name is the one being added.

My question is, besides the emails I have to prove this conversation took place between my property manager and I, or my roommate and I, should I be getting anything in writing from the new roommate?

Also, when the time comes that my old roommate and the replacement roommate decide to move out, will I have to be involved with the security deposit? Or, can I just write an email to my landlord saying that the half of the security deposit I originally paid to him upon my move in should now be considered hers since she paid me this amount upon her move in and now I am no longer involved?

Thanks for any advice and help. I just am unsure where any of this legally stands.

Last edited:
You are worrying about nothing. I would notify the landlord that you received a check from the new person. You might even give the landlord a copy of the check for their records. Other than that you are out and they are in. It is a month to month lease, so there is no continuing obligation on your part anyway. You did fine! Good luck on your new place.

Thank you for your response. Sometimes I worry when things are too simple, but I will go with it this time and not worry. Again, thank you. :)

If anything, you should get a written statement from the landlord that states that you are removed from the lease as of whatever date, and that there are no damages at the time of your move out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back