Roomate roommate not paying share of rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorriche

My roommate and I signed a lease in October. However, since that time she has only paid her share of the rent once. I have been paying the entire rent to keep my credit standing in good shape. I understand that in some states you can ask the landlord to take someone off the lease for a fee. Is maryland one of those states? She said she would remove her name and move but has yet to do so. What options do I have?

You can certainly ask the landlord to provide a "Pay or Quit" notice to this roommate for her failure to pay her share of the rent. The landlord may not do this though because, after all, the entire rent is being paid.

You also have the option of filing a lawsuit against her for her share of the rent you've been paying.

Gail

Your better action would be the suit. Landlord may not want to invest the time and possibly money involved in removal of a tenant when entire rent is being paid. Does your roomate want toleave? If so asking Landlord to amend lease with just your name might be simple solution. Once roomate leaves sue roomate for all rent you paid that was roomates half. Document all records of payment, conversations, emails etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back