Roommate left, will not pck up remainder of his belongings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titustetricus

Hi,
I recently had to ask my roommate of 2 years to leave. We had a verbal agreement on the rent and bills, we just split it all down the middle. I ask him to be gone by 2/4, and he has left, and taken the majority of his stuff. However, he has left larger items such as bookshelves, a futon, dresser and a desk, along with some smaller items. I contacted him asking when he would be picking this stuff up and he told me he would do so when he got access to a truck to do it. I am wondering what my options are if he doesn't pick these things up by the end of the week, or month. I don't think I can legally put it out for the trash, or hold it and charge him a storage fee when he decided to pick it up. Besides that he would most likely refuse to pay it. I am not able to use the room he occupied for anything, either a new roommate or my own purposes. What can I do? Thanks.

Titustetricus said:
Hi,
I recently had to ask my roommate of 2 years to leave. We had a verbal agreement on the rent and bills, we just split it all down the middle. I ask him to be gone by 2/4, and he has left, and taken the majority of his stuff. However, he has left larger items such as bookshelves, a futon, dresser and a desk, along with some smaller items. I contacted him asking when he would be picking this stuff up and he told me he would do so when he got access to a truck to do it. I am wondering what my options are if he doesn't pick these things up by the end of the week, or month. I don't think I can legally put it out for the trash, or hold it and charge him a storage fee when he decided to pick it up. Besides that he would most likely refuse to pay it. I am not able to use the room he occupied for anything, either a new roommate or my own purposes. What can I do? Thanks.
If he is not paying rent then they should be out. You will be unable to rent the room if they are still in there and you could hold him financially responsible for the storage. If you intend to remove them, you should give him written notice and a reasonable time to pick them up. You can state that if he does not pick them up within, e.g. 14 days from the date of this letter, you will dispose of them as you will consider them abandoned. He will be responsible for the reasonable cost associated with the removal as well. Make sure you can prove receipt of the letter, e.g. certification, fax, etc. Don't just get rid of it without reasonable prior notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back