Rent, Utilities Roommate leaves before lease is up

Nilda

Jurisdiction
Florida
In April of 2015 I signed a lease with a roommate. We paid the month rent with a month security. Everything was going well until she got pregnant and went back home leaving in July, 2015. I Contacted the landlord and stated that she is no longer living with me, and that I might be able to get another person to oversee her room. I did and the landlord only had this person sign an application, and text a message indicating the he will have to pay additional security. Its been since July 2015 and now I need to leave the apartment before the lease is up as I have a family urgency and have to move back home. He is willing to stay and possibly get another roommate until April 2016. Can she really ask for additional security when my last roommate forfeited her half? please advise. thank you

Can she really ask for additional security when my last roommate forfeited her half?

Yes, she absolutely can and is legally entitled to do so.

You can't go through life signing contracts and then breach them because of this, that, and the other thing.

There are consequences. If you don't want to continue paying rent until next April then you and any subsequent occupants do what the owner wants.

Back