Roommate is about to break the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlhaase

My roommate just told me that he will be moving out in two months. Our lease has 9 months left. I can't afford to pay the rent by myself, and he suggested I find another roommate. I'm worried I won't be able to find someone in the middle of the year (school year). I'm also worried about what this is going to do to my credit. If he breaks the lease am I responsible???

Is your roomate on the lease?

You didn't say if your roomate was on the lease. If he is not on the lease he has no legal responsibility (he's just a jerk for moving out on you).

The first thing you should do is read a copy of your lease very carefully to see who is on the lease and what it says about breaking the lease.

If you end up having to break the lease you have some protections. Those vary by state. you should check with your state attorney general's office about landlord tenant rights.

Good luck,

Ibis

Start looking for another roommate. He has given you enough notice so that you might be able to find another one.

You might be able to eventually sue him for the balance of the lease, but you are required to mitigate your damages, which is look for another roommate. Keep track of the search for one, do what you can to make the rent payments.

also talk to the landlord and see if the landlord can go after him for the balance if it winds up in court.

If the landlord won't go after him, then you have too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back