Roommate Charged Me Rent and Move-In Fee Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaygeee

In July 2012, someone I knew offered a bedroom in the 3-bedroom apartment he was staying in for $390/month. Along with this rental payment, he also asked me for a $390 move-in fee. He told me to make out the check to him personally and that he would forward all of the money (including his own rental payment) to the landlord.

Within the next few days, things started to unravel. Apparently, this roommate of mine had not been paying his rental payments in the past 2-3 weeks and was basically squatting. He was avoiding both the cops and the landlord, meanwhile I was somewhat caught in the middle. I had completely moved my whole life into the apartment and had no choice, but to stay for a few days while I made other living arrangements.

In the end, I moved out ten days after moving in. However, I was not able to get back the $780 that I had given to my former roommate since he had already spent it at that point.

Is there anything I can do to get my money back or have him legally punished?

Nope. That money is pretty much lost.
Even if you tried to sue him for the money, he obviously doesn't have it to pay you. Move on with your life.

You could try suing him in small claims court. However, as mightymoose noted, even if you win he probably doesn't have any income to pay you with (currently anyway).

Apparently, you should not have moved out until you obtained the benefit of you monies or were court ordered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back