roommate and rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sally

My roommate moved out, yet agreed orally to pay rent until the end of the year long lease. She is now refusing to pay rent and the landlord is threatening to take me to court if I don't pay the total due. What do I need to do, short of bodily harm, to get my former roommate to pay. We both signed seperate leases and to my knowledge the landlord has not "forgiven" her lease. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW to make matters more confusing, she has moved out of state.

Originally posted by sally
My roommate moved out, yet agreed orally to pay rent until the end of the year long lease. She is now refusing to pay rent and the landlord is threatening to take me to court if I don't pay the total due. What do I need to do, short of bodily harm, to get my former roommate to pay. We both signed seperate leases and to my knowledge the landlord has not "forgiven" her lease. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW to make matters more confusing, she has moved out of state.
Read your lease carefully to determine your rights. Does your lease make any reference to your liability for your roomate's share of the rent or her separate lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back