Roomie/owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

billos

I own a two family with my brother and we each occupy one unit. I got a roomie last year who turned out to be so bad my brother is reluctant to let me try another.
He wants something in writing saying that the roomie can be evicted if he defaults on rent or violates some other rules that we all need to discuss and agree on.
His main concern is that the law would protect the roomie in a dispute not allowing us to evict him in a reasonable amount of time and I think he really fears a guy being able to park his butt here while not paying his way for months. Is there something I can write up that would be legally binding that would allow me to rid myself of a bad roomie who decides he is just going to flop here and not pay his way. Is there any legal time table to rid of him once notice is giving in writing to the roomie that he must go?
My brother has the impression that roomies living with an owner have more rights than the owner does when it comes to trying to evict him or her. I do hope this can be a simple matter.
Thanks

billos said:
I own a two family with my brother and we each occupy one unit. I got a roomie last year who turned out to be so bad my brother is reluctant to let me try another.
He wants something in writing saying that the roomie can be evicted if he defaults on rent or violates some other rules that we all need to discuss and agree on.
His main concern is that the law would protect the roomie in a dispute not allowing us to evict him in a reasonable amount of time and I think he really fears a guy being able to park his butt here while not paying his way for months. Is there something I can write up that would be legally binding that would allow me to rid myself of a bad roomie who decides he is just going to flop here and not pay his way. Is there any legal time table to rid of him once notice is giving in writing to the roomie that he must go?
My brother has the impression that roomies living with an owner have more rights than the owner does when it comes to trying to evict him or her. I do hope this can be a simple matter.
Thanks
Why not give your roomate a standard lease with the terms you are describing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back