roomate money question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminate92

howdy, im from texas and my name is omar.

i just recently moved out of a house with 2 other roomates, one of the other roomates was consistently late on bills and i sometimes covered for him. In the end, he owes around 150-220 (the final electric hasnt come in yet, but it's minimal of $150.

I haven't asked him yet about a mediation process but I think he will just blow it off. He has collateral of around 200 DVDs and a job at a university bookstore, plus rent from his parents.

I have never been to SMALL CLAIMS before, so I would just like to know somethings i should have before i go in.....if it even comes to that.

I have last months bills, but not the newest ones.

I constantly see him out at the bars (we play a free poker tournament at some bars around town, and sometimes some games for a little bit of money).

He continues to tell me, "i dont have it right now, but heres 20 bucks" but i can't wait for 6 months to be paid back. or sometimes he will just say i'll get it to you later, and then doesn't.

He has bad credit (because of mail opened and left around, I DID NOT OPEN IT MYSELF) owing around 1100.

So if someone could just list a step of procedures AND any FUNNY laws Texas has. i.e. triple punitive? damages. How i would go about collecting in texas. How long does he have to pay back. Will there be a warrent out for his arrest if he neglects this. Do i have to give him a written notice before i take him to small claims? Do i have to give him a written notice afterwards?

easy stuff. please respond.

Luminate92 said:
howdy, im from texas and my name is omar.

i just recently moved out of a house with 2 other roomates, one of the other roomates was consistently late on bills and i sometimes covered for him. In the end, he owes around 150-220 (the final electric hasnt come in yet, but it's minimal of $150.

I haven't asked him yet about a mediation process but I think he will just blow it off. He has collateral of around 200 DVDs and a job at a university bookstore, plus rent from his parents.

I have never been to SMALL CLAIMS before, so I would just like to know somethings i should have before i go in.....if it even comes to that.

I have last months bills, but not the newest ones.

I constantly see him out at the bars (we play a free poker tournament at some bars around town, and sometimes some games for a little bit of money).

He continues to tell me, "i dont have it right now, but heres 20 bucks" but i can't wait for 6 months to be paid back. or sometimes he will just say i'll get it to you later, and then doesn't.

He has bad credit (because of mail opened and left around, I DID NOT OPEN IT MYSELF) owing around 1100.

So if someone could just list a step of procedures AND any FUNNY laws Texas has. i.e. triple punitive? damages. How i would go about collecting in texas. How long does he have to pay back. Will there be a warrent out for his arrest if he neglects this. Do i have to give him a written notice before i take him to small claims? Do i have to give him a written notice afterwards?

easy stuff. please respond.
Treble damages is possible in certain jurisdications if the debtor doesn't pay the small claims judgment after a reasonable demand is made and per the statute. But remember, it doesn't help to try to squeeze blood from a stone. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back