Roomate Roomate caused damage and wants me to pay half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaby88

I live in Vancouver, Canada.
Roomate left kitchen sink tap open while water was shut off in building and left the house. When water was turned on again sink overflowed and flooded living room, kitchen and dining room. Repair bill has been sent from building management for the cost of 900 dollars under both of our names. He is asking me to pay half of this since we both signed a contract for the lease. However I never signed anything that says that if he breaks something in the house I will have to pay for it just as I would never make her pay for any accidental or purposeful damage I caused. I have sent a letter to the offices that run the building asking that they readress the bill to his name only but I do not know what else to do. We are not speaking. I really need some help because I do not have the funds to do this and I also do not feel like I should cover these costs. The managers at the building are well aware that it was him who caused the damage and have acknowledged it.

You are both jointly liable to the property owner.

In fact, you might be jointly and severally liable.

That would allow them to sue one if you, requiring the other to sue your room mate for reimbursement.

You jeopardize your leasehold if it isn't paid in total.

Your option would be to sue your roomie for what you're stuck paying.

The problem is, you'd have to prove up your assertions as to who did what when.

I suspect your roomie will do as most irresponsible people do; deny, deny, deny!!!

Then point their finger at you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Army is right that the landlord has to be paid or both of you will be sued. You could be sued alone. I would however make the roommate pay me back even if I had to take him to court to do it. He caused the damage and if you have to pay for it he is liable to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back