Robertson bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

burlybusted

I received a letter today at my parents house from Robertson Co. courthouse. I read that I have 3 warrants that posted for my arrest 4 days ago for 2 tickets tht I received over 10 years ago for speeding and tint being too dark on my windows. I never received any correspondence from the county, nor did I contact them, and ten years later, I have 3 arrest warrants totalling $710. Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations? What about for the failure to appear when I didn't receive anything about a court date?

burlybusted said:
I received a letter today at my parents house from Robertson Co. courthouse. I read that I have 3 warrants that posted for my arrest 4 days ago for 2 tickets tht I received over 10 years ago for speeding and tint being too dark on my windows. I never received any correspondence from the county, nor did I contact them, and ten years later, I have 3 arrest warrants totalling $710. Isn't there a statute of limitations on traffic violations? What about for the failure to appear when I didn't receive anything about a court date?
There is no statute of limitations with regard to the offense because technically you defaulted by failing to appear. The SOL usually applies with regard to the time one has to bring a case to court. Since you had an address on your driver's license that was presumably valid and it was your responsibility to update it if it had changed, then you would have a problem claiming you didn't receive notices. In addition, you were aware that you had to show up in court because you were given a summons. You may want to discuss these issues with an attorney or even anonymously over the phone with the department of motor vehicles. You'll have to take care of this eventually. I wish you the best of luck and you may want to speak to a lawyer since the warrants are serious business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back