Robbery and Theft by my neighbor because Landlord failed to Check Background which is mandatory

T

thedikster

Jurisdiction
Utah
3 years ago my neighbor that had lived here behind me for 2 years before meeting them robbed and vandalized my home and all 3 of them were convicted and found guilty of the crime they committed and evicted 1 week later after the incident happened. However to live in this community which is a Manufactured Home and Trailer Park community (Private Property) in their standards of living rules and regulations state that you cannot be a convicted felon or sex offender have decent credit and references etc. These neighbors were both convicted felons and numerous others criminal charges who robbed me with the owners an property manager knowing this and were still allowed to move in here and then robbed me an stole approx $20,000.00 dollars of my family heirlooms and jewelry, TV's, Laptop computer etc. The local police however did recover some of my things but not all and the 3 of them owe around $12,500.00 to me in restitution. Would I or could have also sued the Property Mgr. and Owners of the Park for Negligence and Liability for the crime?

stole approx $20,000.00 dollars of my family heirlooms and jewelry, TV's, Laptop computer etc

Proper insurance would have covered all of that.

Would I or could have also sued the Property Mgr. and Owners of the Park for Negligence and Liability for the crime?

Sure, you could have sued, but you wouldn't have won. I won't go into a long winded explanation because you can look up negligence law on the internet. Here's a site with the basics:

Chapter 20, Cases and Resources, Textbook Activities, Street Law, Social Studies, Glencoe

Back