Ripped off. By seller or Ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyBean

I will try to explain what happened with as much detail and few words as possible. Won an Ebay auction on Jan 5 for a custom made gown. After about a month or so of slow communication with the seller, I began to have a gut feeling that maybe this wasn't the best idea and since the gown had not even been started yet/nothing decided on, perhaps she would be willing to cancel the transaction. She was very unwilling to, claiming she couldn't afford to refund my money even if she wanted to. I was very angry, especially when she claimed she had already purchased fabric! I had not authorized this nor did she respond to my last email to ask if I wanted her to or even tell me she was. She later claimed she could always exchange the fabric for a different kind. Ok. If I am stuck with this purchase, let her exchange it but I made it clear I wanted samples of available fabrics FIRST so that I can decide. That was the last I heard from her. I sent two emails after that, nothing. It was now Feb 15 and I was really nervous and not sure what to do. Could I open a case against her? Not yet because there was no reason to until the end of that week when she still had no responded. I contacted Ebay and spoke to a customer service rep and explained the situation and that I'd like to open a case. They directed to me a specific page and told me to follow the contact link and email Ebay from there. I emailed Ebay explaining exactly what I told the other rep and clearly stating I wished to open a case against her. I did not hear from them the next day and finally heard from them on Sat afternoon. They tell, there is nothing they can do because it has been more than 45 days since the auction ended. I wrote them back and it was confirmed again that they won't help me. I went on Ebay last night and reread the same Buyer Protection crap they just kept telling me to read. I couldn't believe they would put a time limit on when you can file a complaint!!?? Before filing a case or asking to, I did as was advised and tried to contact the seller and that did not work. The phone number of the seller that tried to call that was on record with Ebay was not in service. There is no address even.
I emailed Ebay as was advised about opening a case, that didn't work. In rereading the policy, it states that a claim must be filed within 45 days of a COMPLETED PURCHASE, meaning once payment is rendered, which didn't happen until Jan 6th. I recounted the calendar, sure enough, when I emailed Ebay stating I wished to open a case I was still within the 45 day period. Even when they emailed me back, I think it was the 45th day, so I would have been able to. Now, it IS beyond 45 days and I can't but it's their fault not mine because they calculated incorrectly. Had they even responded to my email the next day I would have been safe according to them. They claimed the 45 days ended on Feb 19th. Not from the date of purchase. It does not state in the policy, and I printed it out and highlighted, from the end of the auction. It states from the completion of purchase. If it states anywhere else the 45 days begin after close of the auction, then their listed rules are incorrect and misleading thus I have every right to that protected beacuse they provided bad information. I lost $250 on this auction and was basically told to go to hell. Paypal won't help because they go by the same rules. I have done everything legitimately and safely and did NOT make a bad purchase at no one's fault but my own. Their representatives mislead me in terms of how to open a case before it was too late. What should I do?? I need that money back, I am an unemployed student who has just ran out of unemployment compensation. I can't afford a private attorney and if I could the cost to hire one would exceed the amount of money I am suing for.

I will try to explain what happened with as much detail and few words as possible. Won an Ebay auction on Jan 5 for a custom made gown. After about a month or so of slow communication with the seller, I began to have a gut feeling that maybe this wasn't the best idea and since the gown had not even been started yet/nothing decided on, perhaps she would be willing to cancel the transaction. She was very unwilling to, claiming she couldn't afford to refund my money even if she wanted to. I was very angry, especially when she claimed she had already purchased fabric! I had not authorized this nor did she respond to my last email to ask if I wanted her to or even tell me she was. She later claimed she could always exchange the fabric for a different kind. Ok. If I am stuck with this purchase, let her exchange it but I made it clear I wanted samples of available fabrics FIRST so that I can decide. That was the last I heard from her. I sent two emails after that, nothing. It was now Feb 15 and I was really nervous and not sure what to do. Could I open a case against her? Not yet because there was no reason to until the end of that week when she still had no responded. I contacted Ebay and spoke to a customer service rep and explained the situation and that I'd like to open a case. They directed to me a specific page and told me to follow the contact link and email Ebay from there. I emailed Ebay explaining exactly what I told the other rep and clearly stating I wished to open a case against her. I did not hear from them the next day and finally heard from them on Sat afternoon. They tell, there is nothing they can do because it has been more than 45 days since the auction ended. I wrote them back and it was confirmed again that they won't help me. I went on Ebay last night and reread the same Buyer Protection crap they just kept telling me to read. I couldn't believe they would put a time limit on when you can file a complaint!!?? Before filing a case or asking to, I did as was advised and tried to contact the seller and that did not work. The phone number of the seller that tried to call that was on record with Ebay was not in service. There is no address even.
I emailed Ebay as was advised about opening a case, that didn't work. In rereading the policy, it states that a claim must be filed within 45 days of a COMPLETED PURCHASE, meaning once payment is rendered, which didn't happen until Jan 6th. I recounted the calendar, sure enough, when I emailed Ebay stating I wished to open a case I was still within the 45 day period. Even when they emailed me back, I think it was the 45th day, so I would have been able to. Now, it IS beyond 45 days and I can't but it's their fault not mine because they calculated incorrectly. Had they even responded to my email the next day I would have been safe according to them. They claimed the 45 days ended on Feb 19th. Not from the date of purchase. It does not state in the policy, and I printed it out and highlighted, from the end of the auction. It states from the completion of purchase. If it states anywhere else the 45 days begin after close of the auction, then their listed rules are incorrect and misleading thus I have every right to that protected beacuse they provided bad information. I lost $250 on this auction and was basically told to go to hell. Paypal won't help because they go by the same rules. I have done everything legitimately and safely and did NOT make a bad purchase at no one's fault but my own. Their representatives mislead me in terms of how to open a case before it was too late. What should I do?? I need that money back, I am an unemployed student who has just ran out of unemployment compensation. I can't afford a private attorney and if I could the cost to hire one would exceed the amount of money I am suing for.
hello dear,
how did you fund paypal? If you used any type credit card, you have 180 days by the card co to dispute and get your finds back, they in return remove the monmey from her paypal, they have power over paypal to go in to her account and get their monies, i know this for fact. If you didnt use a card, which im sure you did, go back to paypal, call get a supervisor, ask for the main supervisor, not an agent, tell the story, if you get the runaround, ask for their supervisor, this is your only chance, paypal can do what they want, it dpends on who you get, trust me ive been through it, but the card you used to fund paypal is a guarantee..good luck

hello dear,
how did you fund paypal? If you used any type credit card, you have 180 days by the card co to dispute and get your finds back, they in return remove the monmey from her paypal, they have power over paypal to go in to her account and get their monies, i know this for fact. If you didnt use a card, which im sure you did, go back to paypal, call get a supervisor, ask for the main supervisor, not an agent, tell the story, if you get the runaround, ask for their supervisor, this is your only chance, paypal can do what they want, it dpends on who you get, trust me ive been through it, but the card you used to fund paypal is a guarantee..good luck
sorry for the spelling, i replied basically with one hand, and didnt spell check, my bad

Thank you so much for that tip. I was going to fund the purchase with my paypal buyer credit initially and instead opted for my registered debit/credit card that is linked to my bank account so that I won't have a bill. It is registered as a credit card I believe. The card says Visa on it and can be used like a credit card wherever Visa is accepted basically. Not sure if that would count. But I will try to call paypal and see where I get. I know Ebay reps claim they have no supervisor. I'm sure they all just sit there perfectly quiet and busy in a big office with no boss around and no one controls or runs Ebay other than them lol. I'll give it a try as soon as possible but I won't be home all day tomorrow so hopefully Wed. Thank you again and will let you know what happens!! :)
Justine J.

opted for my registered debit/credit card that is linked to my bank account

But I will try to call paypal and see

Justine,

Don't waste your time with contacting PayPal. Do as robinhood originally suggested. Contact the bank that issued your VISA debit card. Follow their procedure for disputing a charge.

credit card dispute law was 180 days, im sure its still the same, get a supervisor at the bank/card issuer , actually i think i would contact the bank and visa or whomever the card is and explain the story, you shouldnt have a problem, keep us updated, people like that is what makes ebay a nightmare sometimes...

Ok, I went to edit my last post but I seem to have deleted everything else I wrote so I'll give the short short version... Ebay overrided the deadline after reviewing my saves messages that were exchanged between myself and them. Called the bank first to see what can be done but they didn't know if there was anything they COULD do so I called Paypal as advised, knowing what they'd already, that they couldn't help. He transferred me to Ebay's resolution center. They looked over the exchanged emails between myself and their dummy service reps. He decided that they could override the deadline since I HAD contacted them before it, checked with his supervisor while I waited nervously (holding my breath) and came back to confirm that he had the OK to open the case. Have 7 days now to see if the seller will take initiative on her own, if not they will supposedly refund the money. Much more relieved now. :)

Last edited:

One more thing. I wanted to mention that the lady at the bank told me people have 60 days to dispute any purchases with a credit card, not 180. As the regulations have been undergoing many changes lately, perhaps this rule has changed? Maybe it is decided on a state by state basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back