Rip Off Boat Repair, Need Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterjedi1

I took my boat to a repair shop to have my trim and tilt repaired. The Tilt and trim was never fix. I felt the boat shop was expermenting with my boat. The owner of the shop says he worked 11 hours on the boat trying to help me out. I would like to get my money back on parts that the shop never got and my deposit. On the other hand if the owner of the shop claims 11 hours that he worked on my boat, can the judge rule that I need to pay for his service even if the boat was not fix.

Read letter for Details:
Mr. Bruneau,

On March 10, 2004, I took my boat to your shop to have a repair done on my tilt and trim. The problem was the trim would not hold up, when I applied power to the motor. You gave me an estimate of $450.00 and I gave you half of the estimate by check for a deposit total of $225.00. After 2 weeks I went to your shop to follow up and my boat was not even looked at. I went back March 26, 2004 and told you that I wanted my money back, and was going to take my boat to "Boat Tune". You told me to give you 2 more weeks because you were behind and that if I took it to Boat Tune it was going to take me 8 weeks with Boat Tune. I trusted that you would get the job done. I left it for another 2 weeks and still the boat was not even touched. I went by your shop again on April 16th 2004 and the boat had the hoses remove from the pump, which I led to believe you were working on my boat. On April 29th 2004, I went by your shop again to follow up on the repair of my boat.

Apparently you didn't have money to purchase the hoses, so you charged my credit card $442.80 to purchase new hoses for the pump. Then you pulled out the pump and said that you could not get the pump anymore. But you mentioned to me that you would be able to repair it if there was a kit or if I wanted to buy all the parts individually to repair it. I went ahead and brought all the parts to repair the pump. I spent 3 hours at Boat Tune getting the parts and drawing the scheme of the pump. The parts for the pump were $268.17 and 2 more weeks went by because 2 hoses were on back order. I was waiting patiently since the hoses needed to be made by Evenirude. I found out with Boat Tune that 2 of the hoses have been sitting on their shelves for 2 months and that 2 of them were on back order. I continued to wait patiently.

On June 11th, 2004 I took the day off at work and you still haven't touch the pump because you needed a special tool to remove the Seat-valves off the pump and you didn't want to mess up the pump. I went ahead and went to different places to trying to find a special tool. I stop at Auto Advance Shop and found a friend from church, who is retired, and used to work for the Engineering department at Florida Hospital. I explained my situation to him.

I followed Mr. Harper to his shop at his house. He took out from his toolbox a filer and an adjustable wrench. Mr. Harper was able to loose up all the Seat Valves. I took the pump over to you and showed you what I found out about removing the Seat-Valves. Your excuse was that you didn't want to mess up the pump. I mention to you that I was going to New York for a visit with my Dad on June 16th 2004. I would be back on June 21st, 2004.

I came back to your shop on June 21st 2004 and the pump was not even looked at. Your excuse was that you went out of town to visit your family. You worked on the pump, and it was working according to your son until a hose exploded. The pump was remove again for the second time and then you look at again. You went and visit Boat Tune and spoke to Andre asking for the hoses. You said the hoses were too big and that it was very difficult to find them. I went and visited Boat Tune and the 2 new hoses were the hoses that were needed. Boat Tune sent the hoses back to Evenirude. I felt then you were experimenting with the repair of my boat, and really I wanted my boat out of your shop.

I went to your shop on July 1st 2004 spoke to your son Greg that I wanted to pull out my boat because I felt you were at a dead end. Your son Greg showed me at your workbench that you were working on making some hoses. Your son said to me that the boat was going to be ready the next day. My brother-in-law and I went over on July 2nd, 2004 to pick up the boat. My brother- in- law is half owner of the boat and we agreed that if you didn't have the boat fixed we were going to take it out of your shop.

I was surprised that you bought used hoses without consulting with me. When I got to your shop the pump was out of the boat again for the 3rd time. According to your son one of the used hoses that you bought exploded. You also mentioned to me that you broke all my old hoses to use them for fittings to make new ones. You said you were not able to get the hoses anymore because they didn't make them anymore and they were discontinued.

Before you began working on the boat at least the trim - tilt used to go up and down. Now, I can't use the boat at all. I trusted your expertise as a boat shop to repair my boat. My brother- in-law and I had the pump tested. The pump doesn't even work. We have no obligation to return the boat to you for future repair. My brother- in- law asked you for a receipt for what you have done on the boat. You said that you didn't have time to make a receipt. That you needed to sit down and figure it out. Then you mentioned working 11 hours on my boat. Which the boat was not repaired and we don't expect to pay you for a repair, that never happened. I want to remind you that you mentioned from the first day you keep a log of the work you perform on the boats. You were not able to give my brother- in -law or I a log of a repair that never happened.

Please send me a check or money order for $935.97 for parts & deposit on or before July 23, 2004. If I don't receive payment by that date, I'll promptly file this case in small claims court.

You can send the payment certified mail to the following address:

Good letter and maybe you should keep a copy so that you get your testimony straight, should you need to. However, for a demand letter, I might keep it simple such as how you have it at the end where you brought in the boat to a shop with expertise. It used to work with some problem but now it's useless because of what they have done. Accordingly, they will need to either fix the boat so it is at least as useable as it was or pay you for the value of the boat. If they will not do so then you will take them to court. Good luck.

masterjedi1 said:
I took my boat to a repair shop to have my trim and tilt repaired. The Tilt and trim was never fix. I felt the boat shop was expermenting with my boat. The owner of the shop says he worked 11 hours on the boat trying to help me out. I would like to get my money back on parts that the shop never got and my deposit. On the other hand if the owner of the shop claims 11 hours that he worked on my boat, can the judge rule that I need to pay for his service even if the boat was not fix.

Read letter for Details:
Mr. Bruneau,

On March 10, 2004, I took my boat to your shop to have a repair done on my tilt and trim. The problem was the trim would not hold up, when I applied power to the motor. You gave me an estimate of $450.00 and I gave you half of the estimate by check for a deposit total of $225.00. After 2 weeks I went to your shop to follow up and my boat was not even looked at. I went back March 26, 2004 and told you that I wanted my money back, and was going to take my boat to "Boat Tune". You told me to give you 2 more weeks because you were behind and that if I took it to Boat Tune it was going to take me 8 weeks with Boat Tune. I trusted that you would get the job done. I left it for another 2 weeks and still the boat was not even touched. I went by your shop again on April 16th 2004 and the boat had the hoses remove from the pump, which I led to believe you were working on my boat. On April 29th 2004, I went by your shop again to follow up on the repair of my boat.

Apparently you didn't have money to purchase the hoses, so you charged my credit card $442.80 to purchase new hoses for the pump. Then you pulled out the pump and said that you could not get the pump anymore. But you mentioned to me that you would be able to repair it if there was a kit or if I wanted to buy all the parts individually to repair it. I went ahead and brought all the parts to repair the pump. I spent 3 hours at Boat Tune getting the parts and drawing the scheme of the pump. The parts for the pump were $268.17 and 2 more weeks went by because 2 hoses were on back order. I was waiting patiently since the hoses needed to be made by Evenirude. I found out with Boat Tune that 2 of the hoses have been sitting on their shelves for 2 months and that 2 of them were on back order. I continued to wait patiently.

On June 11th, 2004 I took the day off at work and you still haven't touch the pump because you needed a special tool to remove the Seat-valves off the pump and you didn't want to mess up the pump. I went ahead and went to different places to trying to find a special tool. I stop at Auto Advance Shop and found a friend from church, who is retired, and used to work for the Engineering department at Florida Hospital. I explained my situation to him.

I followed Mr. Harper to his shop at his house. He took out from his toolbox a filer and an adjustable wrench. Mr. Harper was able to loose up all the Seat Valves. I took the pump over to you and showed you what I found out about removing the Seat-Valves. Your excuse was that you didn't want to mess up the pump. I mention to you that I was going to New York for a visit with my Dad on June 16th 2004. I would be back on June 21st, 2004.

I came back to your shop on June 21st 2004 and the pump was not even looked at. Your excuse was that you went out of town to visit your family. You worked on the pump, and it was working according to your son until a hose exploded. The pump was remove again for the second time and then you look at again. You went and visit Boat Tune and spoke to Andre asking for the hoses. You said the hoses were too big and that it was very difficult to find them. I went and visited Boat Tune and the 2 new hoses were the hoses that were needed. Boat Tune sent the hoses back to Evenirude. I felt then you were experimenting with the repair of my boat, and really I wanted my boat out of your shop.

I went to your shop on July 1st 2004 spoke to your son Greg that I wanted to pull out my boat because I felt you were at a dead end. Your son Greg showed me at your workbench that you were working on making some hoses. Your son said to me that the boat was going to be ready the next day. My brother-in-law and I went over on July 2nd, 2004 to pick up the boat. My brother- in- law is half owner of the boat and we agreed that if you didn't have the boat fixed we were going to take it out of your shop.

I was surprised that you bought used hoses without consulting with me. When I got to your shop the pump was out of the boat again for the 3rd time. According to your son one of the used hoses that you bought exploded. You also mentioned to me that you broke all my old hoses to use them for fittings to make new ones. You said you were not able to get the hoses anymore because they didn't make them anymore and they were discontinued.

Before you began working on the boat at least the trim - tilt used to go up and down. Now, I can't use the boat at all. I trusted your expertise as a boat shop to repair my boat. My brother- in-law and I had the pump tested. The pump doesn't even work. We have no obligation to return the boat to you for future repair. My brother- in- law asked you for a receipt for what you have done on the boat. You said that you didn't have time to make a receipt. That you needed to sit down and figure it out. Then you mentioned working 11 hours on my boat. Which the boat was not repaired and we don't expect to pay you for a repair, that never happened. I want to remind you that you mentioned from the first day you keep a log of the work you perform on the boats. You were not able to give my brother- in -law or I a log of a repair that never happened.

Please send me a check or money order for $935.97 for parts & deposit on or before July 23, 2004. If I don't receive payment by that date, I'll promptly file this case in small claims court.

You can send the payment certified mail to the following address:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back