right to purchase fire arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddoggz1

I recently tried to purchase a shotgun and was refused do to a suspended drivers licence for back child support. I don't have a criminal background. Why can I not but a shotgun?

Last edited:
Because you have a suspended license for back child support.

Pay up what you owe, get your license back, and THEN buy your shotgun.

In what state did you attempt to buy the shotgun? Federal law requires a firearms dealer to verify the identity of a purchaser. Your state may mandate a driver's license as proof of identity. It also apparently suspends the driver's licenses of those who owe back child support. Therefore, if you owe back child support, the state can suspend your driver's license. If you do not have a driver's license, the firearms dealer cannot verify your identity.

You might try again using a passport as proof of identity. You might also give everyone a break and pay the child support.

Regardless of whether we have an individual right to possess firearms (I believe SCOTUS recently ruled in that direction regarding DC), the states still have much to say in the details of how that right is guaranteed. This is why firearms laws are so different state to state. Your state's laws are the issue here, not the bill of rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back