Riding in Truck Bed

o11o01

Jurisdiction
California
I'm currently working on a 1964 El Camino, and I have a few questions about having passengers riding in the truck bed. From what I've read it appears that as long as seat-belts are installed it would be acceptable. I'm curious since this is an older car, and seat-belts are not required in the cab, if the same would apply to the bed. I don't plan on driving people on the highway or freeway, but it would be convenient to drive around town with people in the bed. If I am required to install seat belts, is a roll cage or something similar needed? I'm also struggling to find regulations on the seat belts themselves to ensure they match the requirements of the law for both my cab, and potentially the bed.

A simple search on Google would have given you all the information you need. It took three seconds to find this:

Is it Legal to Ride in the Back of a Truck in California?

It plainly does not answer a few of my questions. It states that you are required to use safety restraints, but I drive a vehicle that is not required to use safety restraints. It does not provide information as to what constitutes a legal restraint, and says nothing of an enclosure. I have done a fair amount of searching and have found nothing pertaining to my exact situation.

I'm curious since this is an older car, and seat-belts are not required in the cab, if the same would apply to the bed.

The statute makes NO exceptions based upon the age of the vehicle. (CVC 23116)

The statute is very clear - in order for the carrying of passengers to be legal a restraint system meeting or exceeding Federal standards MUST be installed. That likely also means that you need seats to meet that standard.

It doesn't matter how "convenient" it is to carry people in the cargo area of your vehicle.

The statute makes NO exceptions based upon the age of the vehicle. (CVC 23116)

It doesn't matter how "convenient" it is to carry people in the cargo area of your vehicle.
That is the answer I was looking for, thank you. I wasn't trying to say that it should be legal because it was convenient. I was simply providing my reasoning for wanting to do something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition you leave yourself wide open to civil liability if you're carrying passengers illegally and get involved in a collision.

If you took my information as condescending then that's on you, not me.

I've reported your post for the use of foul language.

It plainly does not answer a few of my questions.

Actually, it answers all your questions.

It states that you are required to use safety restraints

That's not what "it states." Read the statute and you'll see.

The statute is ONLY about transporting passengers in the back of the truck. Has nothing to do with the seatbelt requirements elsewhere. Here's the statute.

Law section.

It does not provide information as to what constitutes a legal restraint,

Yes it does. It refers you to the Code of Federal Regulations Sections 571.207, 571.209, and 571.210 of Title 49 which will tell you what the minimum standards are for seats and restraints.

Here's a link to CFR 571. Scroll down to the sections.

49 CFR Part 571, Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Please don't get nasty again.

Back