Revoke Personalized License Plate

Green Man

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I would greatly appreciate some advice on a situation. In January 2021, I got my wife a personalized license plate for her vehicle (TN). We have had it since February, 2021. Last month, we received a letter in the mail stating we need to return the plate to the local county clerk's office immediately.

They issued the plate to us while it was currently registered to someone else. The current (other) owner of the license plate let his tag expire on March 31, 2023. We have always been current and up to date on our registration. He had been driving around illegally from April 1 through June 8th. He renewed his plate on June 9, 2023.

Do I have to give up our tag since he let his expire? Do I have any legal rights to keep it, as my wife does not want to give it up. I am happy to post all of the email correspondences, but it will take some time to redact all my personal information. Thank you so much for your time.

Do I have to give up our tag since he let his expire? Do I have any legal rights to keep it, as my wife does not want to give it up.

I suggest you and your beloved visit the agency that issues automobile license plates.

In fact, it'll probably be better if you made an appointment with a managerial bureaucrat, BEFORE just arriving.

Once you've secured an appointment, prepare a list of written questions and/or concerns. The items on your list are what you'll be asking and discussing with the managerial bureaucrat.

Alternatively, write a letter to your governor, state attorney general, state senator, and state legislator/congressperson. In those letters state your issue, ask your questions, and request the relief you desire.

However, common sense suggests that what you were told is correct, and you probably won't receive the relief you think you're owed.

Nevertheless, you decide what you wish to do, then go do it.

Your wife is driving on an illegal tag. If she gets cited it will be costly.

I don't think you are going to win this.

But do give it a shot as Army Judge suggests.

Your wife is driving on an illegal tag. If she gets cited it will be costly.

I don't think you are going to win this.

But do give it a shot as Army Judge suggests.

I'm not so sure about that. The vehicle is being driven with the tags the state issued to it.

It is likely that fighting to keep the personalized plate will be more effort than it is worth. It's just a license plate. I suggest you save your resources for a better battle to fight.

I'm not so sure about that. The vehicle is being driven with the tags the state issued to it.
Can't vouch for TN, but just across the line here in NC a revoked tag is illegal to drive on and in fact, if LEO observes such they're obliged to take it immediately.

He is the one that has been driving on expired tags for the last few months. If I don't renew my domain name on godaddy, someone else can snatch it up. What is the difference here?

My wife is driving on the plate that the state issued us. I can't help it if they're incompetent, and don't know what they are doing. I am going to keep the tag on the vehicle until it's time for renewal (February), and see what happens then.

I appreciate all of you guys' replies, and I know you are just following the letter of the law. However, I feel like the law favors bums and irresponsible people more than it does responsible individuals. He let his tag expire on March 31, therefore I should have priority.

He is the one that has been driving on expired tags for the last few months. If I don't renew my domain name on godaddy, someone else can snatch it up. What is the difference here?

My wife is driving on the plate that the state issued us. I can't help it if they're incompetent, and don't know what they are doing. I am going to keep the tag on the vehicle until it's time for renewal (February), and see what happens then.

I appreciate all of you guys' replies, and I know you are just following the letter of the law. However, I feel like the law favors bums and irresponsible people more than it does responsible individuals. He let his tag expire on March 31, therefore I should have priority.
Most states do not reissue expired tags for at least a year or longer. If you get stopped and your car is impounded, you have been warned.

You reveal a rather startling TRUTH to most people, alas its true.

Those who work hard, obey THEIR laws, pay THEIR tribute "aka TAXES" get nothing but grief.

Meanwhile, the human vermin, riff raff, ne'er do well, tricksters, shysters, thugs, etc.. are rewarded.

I've known this sad, wretched truth my entire life.

I've seen it play out time and time again.

If I were you, I'd not poke the bear.

That said, I'm not you.

You gotta do you, I'll just do me.

Good luck...

You reveal a rather startling TRUTH to most people, alas its true.

Those who work hard, obey THEIR laws, pay THEIR tribute "aka TAXES" get nothing but grief.

Meanwhile, the human vermin, riff raff, ne'er do well, tricksters, shysters, thugs, etc.. are rewarded.

I've known this sad, wretched truth my entire life.

I've seen it play out time and time again.

If I were you, I'd not poke the bear.

That said, I'm not you.

You gotta do you, I'll just do me.

Good luck...

I really appreciate your bold honesty, as I was worried I was the only person who felt this way. I am going to continue to push back on this situation, and may even spend a little money along the way. I'll let you guys know where this goes.

The difference is that the two organizations have the right to have different rules regarding such things. Furthermore, Godaddy is a private organization and the other is the state.

As a practical matter, I don't think that's a good idea. Any tickets or problems the other car owner gets with the same plates could cost you at a minimum a lot of hassle and grief trying to sort it out and prove it was the other guy who did it, not you.

He let his tag expire on March 31, therefore I should have priority.

I understand why you feel that way, but I also see the problems that what you propose can create. In the end, it'll be the state that decides who gets that plate based on its practices and procedures, and it may well be that the other person gets to keep the plate by bringing his/her registration fees current. As the state has already informed you that its decision is that you need to return the plates, driving on them poses a legal risk you. You almost certainly may appeal that decision, but until that decision is overturned and you get the right to have that plate, I suggest not driving on plates the state says you cannot have.

Because it doesn't work that way on Godaddy either. There's a period of time between expiration and when the domain is available for reuse.
My wife is driving on the plate that the state issued us.
Understand there is a difference between an expired plate and a revoked one. If your plates are revoked, they're instantly invalid.

That's a very sad belief. I pity anybody who goes through life believing it.
Don't pity me, I don't need it. I am not the only person who feels this way, army judge does too. The law favors bums and losers more than it does responsible people. Take a look at the MN freedom fund, what a disaster that was. I'll just keep driving on the plates and see what happens.

I'll just keep driving on the plates and see what happens.

Please be cautious, mate.

The bear becomes extremely grumpy whenever he/she becomes agitated, annoyed, angered, or is awakened.

Surrendering a License Plate
Tennessee license plates follow the owner, not the vehicle, and can be transferred to a different vehicle for a $1 fee.

Transfers as well as exchanges of specialty and personalized plates for regular passenger plates can be done at your county clerk's office.

Immediately destroy a plate when:

you no longer meet its eligibility criteria and the vehicle registration is not expired; or
it is mutilated or defaced and no longer meets requirements of the law.

Surrender a specialty or personalized plate at renewal when:

you no longer meet its eligibility criteria; or
you no longer want a specialty or personalized plate.

Surrendering a Plate

Back