Returned Merchandise Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishds

I bought a television. It wasn't long until the built-in DVD player quit working. I called the company, and they sent out a new part. They never said anything about returning the old part. They never sent a return label for me to do so. I went ahead and returned the part myself, paying for the shipping myself. I never heard anything from them, so I assumed all was fine.
Two days shy of a year since I had returned the part, I got a couple of phone calls saying that I had not returned the part and that I would need to do so. They said that if I had thrown the part away, they would need to send me a bill for it between $200-$400.
I had done a delivery confirmation on the part with the USPS, but when they checked the post offices website, there was no information for the delivery. I found out later that they only keep the information on the website for 60 days. So, my next step was to go to the post office to try to get proof. Since the delivery was so old, the post office was going to have to go back to the archives, which is in some other town. I have been in three times to request this proof of delivery. Each time, they take my name and phone number and I don't hear from them. Each week, the TV company calls to see if I have gotten the information.
Yesterday, through the USPS website, someone told me that once a delivery confirmation is more than six months old, it is purged from the systerm and there is no way to recover the information.
So, my question is, am I required to pay for this part. Shouldn't they have contacted me sooner than a year later?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back