Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Return of Property After Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

boanon

Hello .. I was the subject of a federal search warrant by several out of state federal agents about 15.5 months ago. About 6 months ago I received an email saying I would have my stuff in a couple of weeks. About 4.5 months ago I received an email saying it would be a "few more weeks due to circumstances beyond their control." Both of those emails were unsolicited and initiated by the out of state agent. I still do not have return of my property. I did not do what the warrant alleged, only was involved in roleplay scenerios where it happened that others I spoke with may have taken a little more seriously and the agents seemed much more interested in them then me. I do not care at this point about my actual stuff, but I do want closure .. especially with plans to marry in a few months. I also do not want to rock any boats. Am I ever going toget it back or am I supposed to file a motion (which would cost more than what the stuff is worth)? Any advice would be great.

Ben

If you don't really care if you get your items back then just drop the issue. That would be easiest.
If you do want to get your items back then make contact with the agent or his supervisor. If your items are being held for investigation or as evidence then they won't return it. If they feel they no longer need the items then they can send them back. If you aren't in contact and asking questions then they won't feel any urgency to get the job done. Let them know that you want your property back and be somewhat persistent about asking. They will get tired of hearing from you and send your items back. It is very possible that they have moved on to other things and just haven't gotten around to sending them... returning your property is very low priority to them and at the bottom of the list of things to do.
It is also possible that if the agent will sign off a release of the property that you could go pick it up... but that would be a road trip for you.

A coast to coast road trip, which would otherwise be fun! I also don't understand why I was searched by agents from the complete opposite side of the country when we have perfectly good agents in my own state. Not that I particularly mind, but it leads me to believe at least a little that they were more after someone else in their own neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back