Retirement Benifits , Medical Bills + Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelylady67

I recently learned Im the benificary of my fathers retirement funds , he selection the option for the benificary the be paid in one lump sum .

1. He had no will ( my sister is the administrater )

2. She informed me that his retirement funds are part of his estate , Could that be true ?

3. She also informed me that all his bills are paid ... except the very large medical bills , he passed away only 7 weeks ago , so more medical bills are expected .

4. Im wonder what the process is about medical bills , he did have pretty good insurance , however Im guessing the total amount medically is appox . $ 175K

5. Who is responsible for the 20 % that the insurance doesnt cover ? Is the remaining balance taken out of his estate ? Does his medical insurance write it off ? At this point with all his small bills paid ... there barely is anything left in the estate.

6 . Can they touch his retirement funds that he left to me ?

Normally the funds pass outside of the estate but you can check with a local attroney to be sure. That means that you do not have to turn any of it over to your sister.

Any bills are to be paid out of the estate in accordance with state law. Once the funds are exhausted the rest of the creditors are SOL.

Verbal Harrassment due to Benificiary

Upon my fathers death I was issued a check from his retirement pensions ( I am the benificiary )

Now my sister finds out about this and says either share w/ the rest of the family or they will be no part of my family .

And she might want to appeal .

Due to the fact that days before my father died , while he was heavly medicated and literally menatlly and phyically detererating before my eyes . He crossed my name out and hand written her name and signed it , changing the benificiary . ( let it be known , his handwriting was barley ledgible and he made several spelling errors with her name)

However the updated info was never notorized , nor was it sent to the state pensions office for an offical update . I did contact them after he died and they told me I was the sole benificairy and issued me a check .

My question - Does she have a chance in court to appeal this ?

I doubt that she will do anything. There is no use worrying about it until it happens.

If the check had been issued to your sister do you really think she would have shared it?

Even if it does go into the estate it would just go for medical bills. Sounds like she is just mad because she can't get her hands on it like she had planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back