retention of 8th grade student question, parents vs. Bd. of Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gijoeswife93

I have a question about retaining an 8th grade student in the state of Maryland:
My son is in 8th grade in a public school in Garrett County, Maryland. He is very young for his class...having a late summer birthday. Although he is extremely intelligent, he is immature and irresponsible. He has ADHD, and has a 504 plan with accomodations. (extended time on classroom assignments and tests, proximity seating, etc.) He used to take ADHD medication. However, this is now impossible due to it counteracting his growth hormones. (on growth hormones for severe IGF-1 diagnosis...growth hormone deficiency) Since discontinuing the ADHD meds., he has had a very difficult time concentrating and focusing. He has fallen so far behind in his Algebra I class, that he would be required to repeat it in ninth grade and it wouldn't count towards his graduation credits. His grades are "C's", except math which is a "D". In every state around us, he would be in 7th grade right now, but MD's cutoff date was different when he was born in 1995. His father and I would like for him to repeat 8th grade for the math, maturity, the fact that he is only 56" and 77 lbs., to get the ADHD under control a little better, etc. The principal has told us she will not approve retention, and that we will have to petition the Bd. of Ed. and see the Superintendent. She doesn't see him approving it either. Do we need a lawyer? Could we homeschool him next year using a state of MD accredited program as an 8th grader, and then enroll him as a 9th grader? Is this legal? (I am a certified K-8th grade teacher.) What do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back