Retaliation from Social Services, disqualified from SNAP

NOTW2008

Jurisdiction
Montana
Here's the situation. I applied for SNAP benefits in Montana. I moved from another state and didn't have long distance to call them to advise that I have moved. I knew nobody in Montana to use their phone or long distance. I had to apply for SNAP benefits to stay at the shelter we were in because it was their policy. I am not uneducated, I know the policy is just to force people to help themselves which is a good idea. I was also a university student at this time as well. I waited until the last week to fulfill this obligation as I didn't really want to do so. I knew within a few weeks I would be getting student loan money that I could use. So, I took my pain medication for my back, walked the 2 miles to the office in the winter snow, and applied. The interviewer asked me three times about my Heritage, I guess she didn't believe me. I was completely taken aback by this and she was cold and unprofessional as well. I just wanted the interview to be over with and flee that office. I mean she was practically spitting her words at me. I go back to the shelter and reiterate the meeting to my husband. He asks if I told her about the state we just moved from, and I did not. I told him I forgot and immediately went to the phone, called her and told her. I couldn't have been more than an hour after I just left her office. She told me now she would have to call the police, etc. I have no criminal record, at all. I didn't trust her so I called back and spoke with a supervisor. The supervisor seemed shocked that the worker told me she would call the police. She told me not to worry about it. I explained to her that I have no cell phone, no long distance, to call the other state to let them know I moved. She said not to worry, they would take care of it. I was grateful. Six months to a year later, I still have the same worker, I get a letter to call about a renewal before the end of the month or I will lose benefits. I called the last two weeks of the month every day practically and the worker nor the supervisor called me back until the day before the month was over. I explained I kept trying to call and sent a few emails. Apparently, I must have irritated them, suddenly they want to disqualify me from benefits for me having benefits in two states when I first applied. That is retaliation, not discipline. I did except responsibility and went to the hearing and let them disqualify me for a decade. I did not fight with the retaliation idea or the unprofessional Heritage questions. Besides, I was in a university going to school and never thought after school that I would need public assistance again, so what did I care if I was disqualified? My husband and son could still get SNAP and I prepared my food separately anyways due to medical issues. That was extremely naive of me. Now, it is hurting me and I want to address the retaliation and heritage issues which led to all this. Any advice?

Huh? Your post is very difficult to follow. At some point you were collecting benefits from 2 different states because you failed to disclose this when you applied in the 2nd state and failed to terminate the benefits for the first state when you moved. That is fraud and yes, it can disqualify you from benefits in the future. That isn't retaliation, that is not perpetuating fraud.

It is not clear what question was asked about your heritage, how long ago this was, or why you seem to think this would have been somehow illegal.

Here's the situation. I applied for SNAP benefits in Montana. I moved from another state and didn't have long distance to call them to advise that I have moved. I knew nobody in Montana to use their phone or long distance. I had to apply for SNAP benefits to stay at the shelter we were in because it was their policy. I am not uneducated, I know the policy is just to force people to help themselves which is a good idea. I was also a university student at this time as well. I waited until the last week to fulfill this obligation as I didn't really want to do so. I knew within a few weeks I would be getting student loan money that I could use. So, I took my pain medication for my back, walked the 2 miles to the office in the winter snow, and applied. The interviewer asked me three times about my Heritage, I guess she didn't believe me. I was completely taken aback by this and she was cold and unprofessional as well. I just wanted the interview to be over with and flee that office. I mean she was practically spitting her words at me. I go back to the shelter and reiterate the meeting to my husband. He asks if I told her about the state we just moved from, and I did not. I told him I forgot and immediately went to the phone, called her and told her. I couldn't have been more than an hour after I just left her office. She told me now she would have to call the police, etc. I have no criminal record, at all. I didn't trust her so I called back and spoke with a supervisor. The supervisor seemed shocked that the worker told me she would call the police. She told me not to worry about it. I explained to her that I have no cell phone, no long distance, to call the other state to let them know I moved. She said not to worry, they would take care of it. I was grateful. Six months to a year later, I still have the same worker, I get a letter to call about a renewal before the end of the month or I will lose benefits. I called the last two weeks of the month every day practically and the worker nor the supervisor called me back until the day before the month was over. I explained I kept trying to call and sent a few emails. Apparently, I must have irritated them, suddenly they want to disqualify me from benefits for me having benefits in two states when I first applied. That is retaliation, not discipline. I did except responsibility and went to the hearing and let them disqualify me for a decade. I did not fight with the retaliation idea or the unprofessional Heritage questions. Besides, I was in a university going to school and never thought after school that I would need public assistance again, so what did I care if I was disqualified? My husband and son could still get SNAP and I prepared my food separately anyways due to medical issues. That was extremely naive of me. Now, it is hurting me and I want to address the retaliation and heritage issues which led to all this. Any advice?

This battle is over.
Not much you can do now, except live with it.
The reference to "no long distance" service won't help you.
All 50 state social service agencies have nationwide, TOLL-FREE numbers.
I suggest you focus your efforts on improving your lot and getting off the dole.
Most people can't wait to leave the parental nest and build their own nest.
That said, if you don't wanna follow the rules set down by your benefactor, don't seek the benefits offered.
The state is ruthless, as are those in the employ of the state in making sure their subjects follow ALL of their rules.

Back