Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Retail Theft- ordinance violation, IL- guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

introublenow

I was caught shoplifting item at Store name worth $40. They took my name , address, my pic and telephone number. They also called the police. I told them I would pay for the items but they said no and issued me an ordinance violation ticket under retail theft and said that the court notice will reach home with the mandotory court appreance. I was not arrested nor fingerprinted. They made me sign a document that said that I can no longer enter a Store name again, they also took a statement in writing admitting the theft.( I dont have a copy of this document) or I will be charge for trespassing.

I am waiting for the actual notice to arrive and fully intend to pay the enitre amount. I dont yet know how much they will ask me for. My green card is presently in the process and I am on a work visa.
1- When I go to court should i plea guilty or not-guilty?
2- Will this information appear in a backgroup check done by employers? If so how can I take it off?
3- Will this affect my credit score?
4- Where will this kind of information appear?
5- Will the processing of my Green Card be affected?
6- Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Please guide me with these questions. need help very badly.

1- When I go to court should i plea guilty or not-guilty?
Not guilty
2- Will this information appear in a backgroup check done by employers? If so how can I take it off?
If convicted you will have a criminal record that can be found via any standard background check
3- Will this affect my credit score?
That depends
4- Where will this kind of information appear?
See answer to number 2 it also could show up in retail theft database
5- Will the processing of my Green Card be affected?
Yes!
6- Do I need to hire a lawyer?
YES!!!

I also suggest you enroll in the anti shoplifting course - have this course completed before court!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have few more questions

1- if i hire a lawyer, should i try to reduce this to civil demand? or its same as ordinance violation?

2- what should i avoid to avoid this in my background check during the GC process???

please help.

1- if i hire a lawyer, should i try to reduce this to civil demand? or its same as ordinance violation?
You cannot change a criminbal matter to a civil one

2- what should i avoid to avoid this in my background check during the GC process???
Ask your Attorney about Diversion and take NASP course

I was never issued a criminal offense ticket. Its a city violation ticket under civil offense and that a court appearance is mandatory. Was never arrested, NO Jail, no finger print...I am waiting for my court notice yet. All I need to know is 2 things a) If I go to court will they ask me Guilty or Not Guilty OR will they just ask me to pay the fines and attend a program b) If I plea guilty, will this civil case become a criminal case and will such things appear in the GC process....

Please I am blindfolded and cannot afford Lawyer consultations....need some honest expereinced comments.

You are not generally required to appear in court for civil issues unless your sued. I suspect this is a criminal case. You plead not guilty and find a lawyer

To the person asking the questions, what ever happend after you went to court? I unfortunately have found myself in the same exact circumstances, and from what you described it was probably from the same store franchise. I was wondering what were the results of your case?

calvin6538 said:
To the person asking the questions, what ever happend after you went to court? I unfortunately have found myself in the same exact circumstances, and from what you described it was probably from the same store franchise. I was wondering what were the results of your case?

It would be a mistake to use this case to gauge yours. Each case is different as are state and county laws, Judges etc. The OP here might have worked out a deal perhaps not. You might better off to start your own topic and we go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back