Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Retail Theft Civil Demand at Kohls. Do i pay them?

dmn0726

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hi,
first of all I did something terribly stupid today. I have not stopped thinking about it since the second it happened. I really hate myself for doing it and the guilt and fear is eating away at me. I went into Kohl's with $60 of kohls cash, bought two items and continued to walk around. I took same lipsticks and lip liners. They followed me outside of the store and due to embarrassment i walked right back in and went exactly where they told me to. They had me sign all these documents, took my picture, scanned my license and told me I wasnt allowed back in Kohls ever. I have never shopped inside a kohls so i wont be returning. but the police wrote me a city ordinance fine of $200.00 and told me if i pay it, it will only come up on my record as a city ordinance and not retail theft. the girl that worked for kohls told me i will be getting a piece of paper in 4-6 weeks stating what i owe to kohls. Im hearing both yes's and no's to pay the fines. How high can these fines even go? what should i do? I dont want this to show up on my record. I gave everything back untouched. Im hearing that if i pay the fines it will definitely go on my record. if i pay them will they be on my record forever?

I am a 19 yr old college student studying accounting and it was definitely a dumb thing to do. I dont want this to later affect my ability to be able to apply for positions in my field if i pay the fines.

the police wrote me a city ordinance fine of $200.00 and told me if i pay it, it will only come up on my record as a city ordinance and not retail theft. t

Well, first question. Have you verified that by looking up the ordinance number that appear on your citation? Police are allowed to lie to suspects to get them to admit wrongdoing and cooperate in their own prosecution. So be careful.

If you have trouble looking it up, give us the city and the ordinance number.

the girl that worked for kohls told me i will be getting a piece of paper in 4-6 weeks stating what i owe to kohls.How high can these fines even go?

For $60 it's often $200 to $300 and people pay them quickly and quietly to avoid prosecution.

But since you are already being "prosecuted" the store no longer has any leverage over you and would have to sue you and prove monetary damages if you decide not to pay the civil demand.

I am a 19 yr old college student studying accounting and it was definitely a dumb thing to do.

That's right. It was an incredibly dumb thing to do and we see the same whine here every day from criminals who lament their crime AFTER they get caught.

I dont want this to later affect my ability to be able to apply for positions in my field if i pay the fines.

Then you'd better verify the consequences of paying the fine before you plead guilty and pay it.

I recommend you pay the fine, but the amount Kohls asks for is not a legal obligation to pay.
If you pay the city fine Kohls won't have any criminal action to threaten you with and they are incredibly unlikely to waste resources paying you in civil court.
The city fine for the ordinance violation would be the end of it.
You'll receive letters carefully worded to scare you into paying Kohls, but you have absolutely no legal obligation to do anything they ask. Personally, I'd ignore their letters and stay out of their store.
If you have any remaining doubts after receiving their letter take it to a local attorney for advice and understanding how this sort of thing is typically handled in your area. Make sure the attorney understands you have already paid the ordinance fine if you have.

I recommend you pay the fine, but the amount Kohls asks for is not a legal obligation to pay.
If you pay the city fine Kohls won't have any criminal action to threaten you with and they are incredibly unlikely to waste resources paying you in civil court.
The city fine for the ordinance violation would be the end of it.
You'll receive letters carefully worded to scare you into paying Kohls, but you have absolutely no legal obligation to do anything they ask. Personally, I'd ignore their letters and stay out of their store.
If you have any remaining doubts after receiving their letter take it to a local attorney for advice and understanding how this sort of thing is typically handled in your area. Make sure the attorney understands you have already paid the ordinance fine if you have.
Is this going to later on hurt my credit if i dont pay it?

It's possible that the store could turn it over to a collection agency that, in turn, can report the debt to the credit bureaus.

Shrinkmaster may be able to shed some light on that possibility.

Not unless they are successful in obtaining a judgment against you.
I believe it is unlikely they will ever do more than send you letters and try to pressure you into paying them. It is not cost effective for them to pressure you in court over such small amounts.
I would not acknowledge receipt of any letter or ever speak to anyone attempting to discuss it or collect on the matter. Unless you receive an official summons from a court you are not required to do anything.
A local attorney you trust can advise you how to proceed if you should have concerns later. My point is simply that you are not obligated to pay regardless of what you signed, and that paying the city fine could make it less likely that there would be a negative consequence for not paying the demand from the store.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. I advise all my client to pay. the links and video below should help. Its your call but if you dont you :could" face long term consequences.
Civil Recovery

In this case those potential long term consequences are drastically minimized by passing the city fine and calling it a day.

Paying the store demand on top of that would be a waste since payment of the city fine will prevent any further criminal action.

Paying the store demand on top of that would be a waste since payment of the city fine will prevent any further criminal action.

I agree 1,000,000%, and will only add OBEYING THEIR LAWS, ALL of their laws will eliminate having to pay for anything, except the things you CHOOSE to buy!!!!

There are more risks than criminal prosecution to worry about when choosing to not pay Civil Demand. they maybe minimal but they do exist. Please read info I and others have provided so you can make wise decisions

Back